Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Zoom Lenses
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Review RSS Feed

52 211,318 Sat October 10, 2020

HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR

The HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR is the first zoom lens to join the Pentax lineup of ultra-compact "limited" lenses. This lens features a sleek all-metal barrel manufactured to very high standards.

This is also the first Limited series lens to feature silent DC autofocus as well as a weather-sealed design. Like the other HD Limited lenses, this lens features Pentax's latest lens coating promising less ghosting and flare.

As is standard for all premium Pentax lenses, this lens allows for full-time manual focus adjustments (Quick shift) and it is treated with Pentax's Super Protect coating to protect the front element from dust and scratches

The lens covers a wide-angle to normal focal length range, and is compatible with Pentax APS-C DSLRs. It will be available in both black and silver in December, 2013 for $999.

HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Automatic, 9 blades (rounded)
KAF3

Soft pouch P70-150
Metal push-on O-LW65A
HD,SP
Yes (WR)
71 x 68.5 mm (2.8 x 2.7 in.)
283 g (10 oz.)
2013 to present (in production)
HD PENTAX-DA 1:2.8-4 20-40mm ED Limited DC WR
23000 (black), 23010 (silver)
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
★★☆ Full coverage at some F-stop and focal length combinations
Show details
One aspherical element, one ED and one extra-low dispersion element.
No autofocus on older bodies (*istD series, K100D, K110D, and film).

Black and silver

Supersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Buy the HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 52

Registered: November, 2018
Location: Tokyo
Lens Review Date: June 13, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: KP

The lens you can attach to your camera all day and take quality images. Sometimes wants some wider f stop but for the size I cannot complain.

Registered: December, 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Lens Review Date: May 3, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $497.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, compact, excellent flare resistance, great build quality
Cons: Slight field curvature - requires careful focusing for best results
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-70

This is a great little lens. When it first came out I wasn't interested, because most of the reviews from the major review sites were underwhelming. But as reviews from actual users started to accumulate I noticed that they were almost universally positive. Could all of these users be wrong? I decided to take a chance, and grabbed one when it went on sale. I am glad that I did. The lens is very sharp, it is a joy to handle, and it has great build quality. It also has excellent flare resistance--not just for a zoom, but for any lens.

The lens does suffer from a small amount of field curvature, so very careful focusing is required to get optimal results across the frame. Once you learn the optimal focus points it is extremely sharp across the frame (when stopped down). This, combined its small size and great flare resistance, makes it ideal for travel photography.

While the range of focal lengths seems a bit narrow, I find it to be a very useful range. I have a wide range of lenses, from 8mm to 400mm. But I noticed that about 90% of my photos are taken with lenses in the 20mm to 40mm range, so the range of this lens suits me just fine.

The lens is a real gem!

Registered: December, 2018
Location: Melbourne

Lens Review Date: September 7, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light and Brilliant.....
Cons: N/A
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K70 and K-S1

I have three camera system, Full frame Nikon D810 with many great Nikon and 3rd party lenses, Medium Format Pentax 645z, also with some great FA and D-FA lenses. My third system is Pentax APS-C, a K70 and K-S1....

For me, out of all these systems and lenses, this HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited is at the top of my list. Never does it come off either one of the APS-C bodies.
Its always a pleasure to use and shoot with, its light and focuses fast and never misses focus for me. It has this look and feel, some have said it pops, in a way yeah it makes things pop out, sorter 3D sorter way. Its sharp, even wide open, both and 20mm , 40mm and everywhere in between.....

I don't have a single negative to add to this lens.....

If Pentax made a lens like this primarily for the FF K-1, id sell my Nikon system and get a K1.......

Its Brilliant.... Its Beautiful...... and for me its the best.....

Registered: April, 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ

Lens Review Date: May 14, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: everything - size, color, contrast, sharpness, focusing
Cons: none.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-01

I am in love with this lens!! I used to think lenses cannot make much differences in pictures taken with F/8.0+ on a sunny day (only the photographer does). Now I realize this lens actually makes differences. Pictures are so sharp and contrasty with this lens, I can almost recognize pictures taken with this lens without looking at the meta data. Too bad there is no DFA limited 30-60 for my K-1. My K-1 is in crop mode most of the time now.. and my K-01 is busy again. Whats the point of swapping lenses if a zoom is this good....

Registered: October, 2009
Location: Montreal (Quebec)

Lens Review Date: October 29, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colour Signature, CA Control, Sharpness, Useful Focal Range, Built Quality, Quiet AF, SMALL!
Cons: Would LOVE a bit Wider, with a Fixed 2.8 Aperture
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

In spite of its high price tag, and a somewhat limited production, this "HD Pentax DA 20-40mm" by Ricoh luckily ended up in my camera bag alongside an ageless K-3; it has quickly become one of my favourite normal zoom lenses ever!

Perhaps not the sharpest in theory versus the sharpest primes, nor with the broadest focal range either... Yet this tiny gem offers a sweet window of opportunity to travelers on APS-C sensor, for in practice things get mesmerizing as soon as the fireworks start dazzling:

A strickingly BRIGHT & CLEAR glass design; an especially RICH & VIBRANT color signature; a GENEROUS viewpoint refreshingly free from some of the most dreaded optical aberrations; a relatively FAST & QUIET, PRECISE AF too! All of these valued qualities in a STURDY, COMPACT retro-looking format.

An unduly under-explored PENTAX-Mount ASSET!

Registered: May, 2018

Lens Review Date: May 4, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great for everyday usage and travel. Fast focus, razor sharp and beautiful colors.
Cons: I think that f4 on 40mm is a small problem, cons 2.8 will be better.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: KP

This lens is absolutely great for everyday usage and travel. Fast focus, razor sharp and beautiful colors. Before this lens, I use Tamron 17-50 2.8, and when first shot on DA 20-40 was being taken, I don't believe my eyes. Supper Color, absolutely great build quality and DC focusing. WR feature gives me freedom when going in mountains. Multicoating working well in all situations.

Registered: July, 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario

Lens Review Date: February 21, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, pleasing color rendition, light weight and WR
Cons: mild distortion at wide-end but easily corrected
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-1 and K-3

I bought this lens in Japan, it was in 'best' used condition category. I used this lens exclusively on the k-3 until I bought the k-1 last year. I consider this lens a perfect walk-around lens for street photography because of the focal lengths that suits my shooting style. I also find this to be suitable for 'event' photography especially when I can get close to the subject (performer). I am really happy with the pleasing tonal range and lively characteristic images I get from this lens. Although this lens is designed for the cropped sensor, it is completely usable on the k-1 FF camera with some vignetting to be expected at the wide-end. I wish there is DFA version of this lens with similar specs so I can fully utilize it on my k-1 without worrying about vignetting. Here is an example of the image I got from a recent event (shot at 1/200 f4 iso1000)

Registered: September, 2016

Lens Review Date: September 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact,sharp,built quality,WR,Diaphragma,range,colors ...
Cons: none so far ( if you set the Sensor shift right )
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3 Prestige Edition

I was searching for a better walk around lens than the Kit -
and I have a great collection of K,M,A and M42 Lenses , so I like the look
and the feel of it as much as the extraordinary quality of this lens !
You have to try it to say such things - and after setting the right Focus in my K3,
there is no doubt about the optical quality as well !
This is the right Lens I expected for my needs - lovely rounded Blades give a nice bokeh even at 20mm ;-) For more angel I take my 15mmLtd. or my 10-17mm fisheye with me ... It give a nostalgic feel in f2,8 and is extra sharp from 3,6 / 4 upwards - like also the 3D Rendition especially for HDR-Shots !
A quite good reason to stay with my lovely K3 Prestige Edition ...
Not cheap, but the output gives the answer !
Highly recommended !

Registered: June, 2016
Location: Gislev

Lens Review Date: September 15, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Build, Handling, Zoom range, Size and Weight
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-3 II

This is an extraordinarily good lens of perfect build quality.

Optically it's among the best on the market (I've tested mine against some renowned lenses - and it more than holds its own):

IQ is gorgeous being razor sharp at practical working apertures (I do not venture farther than f/11 on any lens, if I can help it). More over CA's, fringing (if any at all) and distortion are negligible. Flare and reflexes are next to non-existent (Sigma Art's are a pain in this department), and it does an unbelievable job of retaining information and details in highlights and shadows (something that distinguishes excellent lenses from the rest - ask Leica-aficionados).

The zoom range is perfect for street photography and the likes, and the size and weight of the lens - though larger than the rest of the DA-Limited lenses - are non obstructive. The Sigma Art's are way to large and heavy in comparison (I do, in fact, own a couple of them). On top of that, I do prefer lenses from the camera producers, as they do have their brand much more at stake - also in the mechanical build department - as compared to third party producers.

Did I forget to mention the Bokeh? Smooth, lovely and unbelievably buttery for a zoom - then again, this seems to be a prime lens with a variable focal length-type of lens.

IMHO this piece of Pentax-glass is worth every last penny - and if you still don't believe it, please read this review:

Clearly a FIVE STAR Lens. And Pentax does make a lot of them ...

Registered: October, 2014

Lens Review Date: September 7, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful rendering
Cons: Within the accepted constraints; none.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K3

Knowing how anal most review sights are about technical specifications I read the reviews with a pinch of salt. I have the classic limited primes and have always admired the amazing rendering of colours, focus transition, local contrast, and accurate colour separation and definition within complex images. The 15 f4 ltd is my favourite. Appreciating the complexity of design that is required to re-create those characteristics in a zoom, I am very happy with my 20-40 ltd. It maintains the same character in performance as the limited primes. Considering this and the amazing construction I would consider it an absolute bargain.

Registered: April, 2014
Location: Cambridge, MA

Lens Review Date: August 18, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compactness; fantastic sharpness, color, and clarity
Cons: Nothing major
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

I wanted a small-ish all-around weather-sealed lens to take with me on my recent cross-country road trip. This lens was perfect, and I love it. It's my shiny silver buddy who's fun to be with.

This lens filled the "travel lens" niche perfectly. It's lightweight and reasonably small (about the same size as my 31mm Limited, but lighter), so I can carry it with me almost everywhere. The 20-40mm zoom range covers the focal lengths I most commonly use, though I should note that I brought along a second K-3 with the 15mm Limited. The f/2.8-4 maximum aperture seems a little slow, but in practice, I never had trouble using it indoors. When I'm visiting museums, I tend to use the wide end anyway, and f/2.8 is fine. I never had to test the weather sealing, but it was very good to have it.

As far as image quality goes, the 20-40mm Limited is fantastic. The sharpness, color saturation, and clarity are simply outstanding. It stacks up well against my other Limited lenses. (I put together a whole gallery here, if you're interested).

-- It's sharper than the 21mm, and has comparable bokeh; at this point, the choice of which one I bring with me mostly depends on whether I want the smaller lens, and whether I need the weather sealing.

-- It's very slightly less sharp than the 31mm Limited, but you'll only see the difference if you are a fanatical pixel-peeper. The rendering and the bokeh are noticeably different to me between the two lenses. I think the 20-40 reproduces colors more vividly, but I think the bokeh of the 31 is smoother, and I generally prefer its rendering.

-- The 40mm Limited wins for sharpness, but then again, it's the sharpest lens I own; the 20-40 is also very, very sharp. The color saturation and rendering are generally comparable.

I only have a few complaints, and they're relatively minor. The autofocus is noticeably worse than the 21, 31, or 40-- sometimes it hunts around for a while, and sometimes it latches on to something, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure what's going on, but my primes don't have this problem. Next, there's noticeable vignetting at 40mm at f/4.0, but this can be cleaned up unproblematically in post. There's noticeable distortion at 20mm, so if you really like to photograph straight vertical lines near the edges of the frame, you might be sad. Finally, the silver finish on the lens hood rubs off relatively easily.

In short, it's a wonderful little lens, and unless you really need a wider zoom range or a larger aperture, you won't be disappointed.

Enough talk! Now photos!

20mm @ f/11. You can see how well this lens nails textures...

...and colors.

20mm @ f/7.1 You can see a noticeable amount of distortion at 20mm, more than the 21mm Limited, I think.

23mm @ f/3.5. Just throwing in a photo at a relatively wide angle and a relatively wide aperture.

29mm @ f/5.6. See, it does reasonably well indoors.

30mm @ f/3.5. An example of the bokeh. It's quite nice!

31mm @ f/11. It's still sharp at the middle of its zoom range.

34mm @ f/11. Ditto.

40mm @ f/4.0. You can see what I was talking about with the vignetting, but IIRC there were more egregious examples.

40mm @ f/11. Still sharp.

40mm @ f/4.0. It's not a fast telephoto lens, but it still does reasonably good portraits.

Anyway, if you really cannot get enough example photos, the entire road trip album is here.

It's a great lens! It got, I think, unfairly slammed by confused lens reviewers who didn't think through the handling/portability implications of the relatively slow maximum aperture, and who didn't appreciate the pixie dust. The original price of $1,000 was pretty steep, and I certainly wouldn't pay that much for it, but $600 is entirely reasonable. If you do end up buying it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Registered: March, 2013

Lens Review Date: July 3, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color, contrast, handling
Cons: Non
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

Registered: August, 2015
Location: NC

Lens Review Date: March 2, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $498.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, size for purpose, excellent optics, weather sealed
Cons: none, not wider or longer?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3, K-x

Odd focal range, variable from 2.8 to 4.0, DC motor, and weather sealed at a big price premium. Not your typical Pentax Limited lens. It's been awhile now and the prices of this lens has dropped in half for a new one. I took the plunge and now it's my walk around for what I shoot along with my Limited FA77 in my pocket. I can say that this is a great lens IF you need or want this focal range as it's not for everyone. I'm mainly a prime shooter. Never have really cared much for zooms simply because it makes me a lazy photographer. Only zoom in my kit is the 18-55 kit lens which doesn't ever get usage if at all.

Bokeh for this type of lens is great. I never expected my FA77 limited bokeh as you shouldn't either. Very sharp lens and perfect compliment on my K3 and my K-x. Right at the same size length as the 18-55 DAL kit lens, but just a little thicker. Actually about half an inch shorter than the 18-55 DAL if you use a hood lens on the 18-55. If you've been wanting this lens...get one. I got it for under $500 from Amazon, but it has now since gone up some. It's still a great deal for what you get. You won't regret it. I had a Limited 21 but sold it for this and have zero regrets.

Only real con is the focal length. You should already know if it's gonna work for you. Otherwise you won't be happy with it. I love this lens.

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Hanoi
Lens Review Date: August 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: perfect build, low light, autofocus
Cons: nil
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K30

In my point of view, this is the best design of Pentax. I love the build and the way of autofocus which creates many impressive photos.

Location: Vermont

Lens Review Date: August 13, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color, contrast
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

Just a super lens. Sharpness, color, contrast are nothing less than outstanding on my copy. Covering the range of other limited primes (21, 31, 35, and 40), WR sealing, silent DC motor, smaller size (compared to the DA*16-50 and Sigma 18-35), flare resistance, makes this lens very good solution for me. I've had this lens for a week and have yet to take it off my K-3.

IMGP9775.jpg by Short_Final!, on Flickr

IMGP9901.jpg by Short_Final!, on Flickr

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!