Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Review RSS Feed

7 40,482 Thu October 20, 2016

HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited

The SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited is high-quality a compact telephoto "pancake" lens that is designed only for Pentax DSLRs. The lens is pictured above with the hood on.

This lens features Pentax's latest "HD" nano coating and is available in both black and silver for $749.95.

MH-RD 49 mm
Pouch DA70
Dedicated metal push-on
HD,SP
63 x 26 mm (2.5 x 1 in.)
2013 to Present
HD PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited
21430 (black), 21440 (silver)
Black and silver

Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Buy the HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-7 of 7

Location: England
Lens Review Date: October 20, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $379.38 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, build quality, weatherproofing
Cons: Lens cap is not very positive, but...
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3, K5 IIs, *ist (35mm)

Given my large collection of Pentax glass, I delayed the purchase of this lens a long while, until I was sure it would do what I wanted it to. I wanted to carry it alongside my venerable F 28mm and F 50mm to use on my three cameras of choice, the K3, K5 IIs and *ist (loaded with Ilford film).
It is a joy to use, allowing me to have three bodies in the bag, each one set up and ready to go with a different combination, for landscape/street scenes, detail work and light/shadow photos, for which the 70mm is a nice compromise on length and angle.
I sometimes switch the lenses around, as the K3 excels in focusing quickly, the K5 IIs in producing a well-exposed shot, and the *ist in being so small, quiet and unobtrusive that I can shoot almost anything without being spotted.
When I have the 70mm on the K5 or K3, it is fast, sharp and gives me enough length to pick a face out of a crowd, isolate a detail in a shot or frame 'in camera' instead of having to crop and frame later (which I rarely do as I believe in doing it right first time); when the 70mm is on the *ist it is tiny, fast, as sharp as the naked eye and wide enough to capture a scene without having to move back, but with no detectable distortion even in the corners. It helps that it is silver, as is my *ist, and looks (to the uninitiated) like a toy (or bridge) camera. It is only the motor wind that gives the game away, but by then I have the shot on film.
Some have said that it is "digital" only; I have run 7-8 rolls through the *ist, with the 70mm on the camera for 75-80% of shots, and cannot see any reason why this would be suggested. It has no vignetting at all, at least not with machine prints (where a little of the edge of the image is lost anyway). More recently I have started getting digital scans of my films, and they show no vignetting either.
I paid less than 400 USD (equivalent) for the lens, new, and believe it is the best lens I have ever purchased. It now accompanies me when I am taking (what my wife calls) my 'serious photography' kit out, which is the three cameras mentioned, a DA* 300mm, DA* 60-250mm and the DA Limited 70mm. Again, each camera/lens combination is set up ready to go for a different type of shot (candid street portraits, detail work and landscape) so there is no need to changes lenses outdoors, but the Limited holds its' own in such company, producing shots that I am proud to say I took, even when they are unexciting street scenes and townscapes.

Registered: November, 2014
Location: Newfoundland
Lens Review Date: October 10, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $493.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, Size, Weight AF Speed, Integrated Hood, Flare Resistance, Colour Rendering
Cons: It's not the FA 77 Ltd!
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5II

A former army officer - I like to travel light & functional like a Spartan. My basic & travel kit consists of the K-5II, Joby DSLR wrist strap, HD DA's 21/40/70 carried in a small Domke F-5XB Ruggedwear bag. Everything you need to get the job done exceptionally well.

I have been shooting with the HD DA 70 for almost two years. Of the 3 pancakes I own; the 21 is the most used (street & landscape), the 40 is the most versatile and the 70 is the most loved. No other lens I have ever owned produces such amazing portraits as the HD DA 70. I coach under 18 Football. On the K-5II the HD DA 70 with it's super quick AF and wide aperture is ideal for shooting from the sidelines.

If I could only own two lenses they would be the HD DA 21 and HD DA 70. The 70 is a dynamite piece of glass.

Location: Texas
Lens Review Date: June 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, size and weight, build quality, smart hoof
Cons: Vignetting
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K30

Very nice lens.
My only 'problem' is that I own the FA 77mm f1.8, and except for the weight, it is better.
The 70mm 2.4 has strong vignetting at full aperture.
It is sharp at 2.4 and improves at smaller apertures, but less sharp than the FA 77mm f/1.8 at all apertures.
The hood is very smart: screw-in semi-permanent, semi-telescopic.

Registered: May, 2016
Lens Review Date: May 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, light, great iq
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3 II

Do not underestimate how much it matters that this lens weighs 120 grams, it is just a joy to walk around. The only slight downside is that in order to use a filter you need to unscrew the lens hood. I don't mind the focus ring moving at all because I support the camera with my left hand, not the lens, it is a little too small for that. A funny side effect of being so compact is that people, especially on the street, are less weary when they see this lens.
As most people say, image quality is indeed great - objectively and subjectively - and unless you obsessively pixel peep nothing offends except some occasional purple fringes. While this is not the brightest lens out there, portraits look great!

Registered: June, 2015
Location: Iasi

Lens Review Date: July 1, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $668.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, Built quality, Robustness, Weight
Cons: Focus speed, Lack of weather sealing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 5    Handling: 7    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3-II

OK, so there might be a couple of things to get me biased here, but I'm just bluntly stating my non-professional opinion on this lens-camera combo.

I just got this HD 70/2.4 Limited today, and mounted it on my 1 week old K3-II, which btw, has been doing a great job paired up with a Sigma 18-35/1.8 so far.

I've been reading back and forth about this 70/2.4 HD, meaning there's not enough in depth reviews about it (apart from the one here) and presumably not enough interest in this lens.

Still, everything and everybody points to it.

I'd have to say here, I've always considered getting brand new gear when it comes to my photo hobby, a habit that has proven useful in most cases, although I now feel like I might have struck a better deal getting an used, cheaper 77/1.8 FA.

So here's my observations after one day of using this lens with a K3-II and 6 years of digital SLRs (Nikon D7000, Canon 5D II and Canon 7D II):

This is really a jewel in the lens market today. The only lens I might compare it with is the Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai-S, which in fact has better optical performance IF you can harness the manual focusing.

First things first.

Built quality.

Pro: - Very good. All metal built gives a pro touch to this lens, even if the weight states otherwise.

Cons: - The retractable hood is a nuisance, it moves back and forth as you remove or put on the cap. The lens cap itself feel very chinese-built, and I have a feeling it will soon start falling off the lens hood, because that's the only place where it can be attached since it is not a pinch-in cap. The hood does not have a guiding groove or anything like it, it just goes in and out at different angles as you pull out or put on the lens cap. Not very detail aware...
- The movement of the focusing / rotating element is almost completely unobstructed and very exposed to dust, shocks, rain, or anything else you might think could fall from the sky WHILE the ring rotates and can bring dirt under the "protective" layer of aluminum.
I'm actually not entirely sure Pentax has thrown some sort or protection in there, but it just looks like any drop of mud, dirt, rain, bird *&^% or something similar, can interfere with the mechanism.

Pro: - It's actually quite accurate WHEN it locks in.
- Manual focusing is a breeze and very accurate for such a tiny focusing ring. Bravo!

Cons: - AF is the loudest in ALL DLSRs I've ever had.
- On AF-C it hunts like crazy. This is by no means a sports lens, and given Pentax's specs, I wonder if they do have a true sports lens.
- There is a camera function to take a shot whenever the subject comes into (a predesignated) focus (point). Nikon does it well, Canon nails it every time. With this lens and camera, forget about it.
- AF-S gets slightly better results, but still far from reality in terms of speed.

I have not tested flare and CA yet, because they are in-camera features + easily corrected in post.
Bokeh is very good to excellent. Considering that APSC doesn't mean just focal lenght x 1.5, but also means aperture x 1.5, bokeh is impressive.

This is a studio lens or a static subject / portraiture lens. Anything that moves is a no go, regardless of speed, light or camera settings.

The Sigma 18-35/1.8 is faster at focusing, it doesn't hunt and is silent as a mouse compared to this 70/2.4, but it also weights as a brick.

All in all, if you're not in a rush to focus in something, this lens is very good, but not perfect as most scores might imply.

You'll need some time to get used to removing and attaching the cap without feeling like you're doing something wrong, but it is what it is...

Bare with it and the results will be very good

I haven't had the 77 FA but I have the feeling that one is a keeper.

Pick you favorite.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Pune

Lens Review Date: December 29, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $620.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Small, Metal, Fast, Colour rendering, Hood.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-01, K10D

This is the sharpest lens in my entire lens collection; even sharper than my Tamron 70-200 @ 70mm f/2.8. I have FA50/1.4, M50/1.7, which does not come close to it @ f/2.4, so I can confidently use it wide open. 70mm limited has creamy bokeh and great colour rendering. This is so small that you wont believe until you see the lens. No other manufacturer produces such a small lens, so this gem is unique in term of fast + light + sharp = practical & useful. Pentax engineers must have given extra efforts in producing such perfect lens.

I have brought it for outdoors & studio portrait. This lens is great for capturing stage performance. AF is fast in all light conditions and we can adjust using quick shift. Due to small size it is always in my bag creating new possibilities for travel photography, Landscapes; yes, you wont believe, landscapes are also fantastic, specifically colour rendering, sharpness and contrast.

Registered: June, 2014

Lens Review Date: August 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $522.22 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Images,Fast Focus,Great Contrast, Light Wt
Cons: None noted yet
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-30

I have used the lens for 2 weeks. Some portrait work but mostly landscape. I found the lens to focus rapidly with little or no hunting. Photos were exceptionally sharp with great resolution. Contrast is great. Size and weight make it easy to handle. I like the collapsable hood and the fact that it is stored on the lens. The price I paid was exceptionally good with two of these lenses still available on ebay. I would recommend this lens to anyone in need of this focal length.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!