Log in or register to remove ads.

Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » FA Prime Lenses
HD Pentax-FA 31mm Limited F1.8 Review RSS Feed

6.3
 6.0
 6.0
3 9,681 Mon April 25, 2022
33% of reviewers $1,089.55 5.00

HD Pentax-FA 31mm Limited F1.8

This modernized version of the iconic SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited features updated HD coatings and rounded aperture blades.

HD Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited
Automatic, 9 blades (rounded)

Built-in
Dedicated pouch (P70-140)
Dedicated metal push-on (O-LW65B)
Ghostless,HD,SP
65 x 68.5 mm (2.6 x 2.7 in.)
2021 to present (in production)
$1049 USD at launch
HD PENTAX-FA 1:1.8 31mm AL Limited
20220 (silver), 20210 (black)
One aspherical element, one ED element, one high refraction low dispertion element. Rounded aperture from F1.8 to F3.5.

Black and silver

Screwdrive AutofocusBuilt-in HoodAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame Support
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-FA 31mm Limited F1.8
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-FA 31mm Limited F1.8 in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-FA 31mm Limited F1.8 Buy the HD Pentax-FA 31mm Limited F1.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-3 of 3

Registered: February, 2022
Lens Review Date: April 25, 2022 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $1,068.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: None.
Cons: All.
Sharpness: 1    Aberrations: 1    Bokeh: 1    Autofocus: 1    Handling: 1    Value: 1    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1ii

This lens is an old, criminally overpriced, mediocre piece of glass that cannot be used during the day. I can think of no lens I've ever used whose reputation was so very, very, very far away from reality. If you are the kind of person who thinks that Chromatic Aberration is "Pixie Dust," then go for it. Otherwise: avoid.

EDIT: Due to a rather unfortunate number of hostile messages I've received about this review, I'd like to make myself a bit more clear. I am a high-volume professional wedding photographer who, since the beginning of 2022, has done nearly 35 weddings. 100% of my weddings are done outdoors, but there are times that I need something fast in order to shoot the interiors of limousines and helicopters as well. I bought this lens for my K-1, hoping it would complement my Panasonic/Leica 42.5 Nocticron that I run on my second body, and that the two in combination would allow me to replace the Pentax 24-70, which I have taken nearly 60,000 shots with in the past year. However, I did not purchase it for over one-thousand dollars in order to stop it down to achieve an acceptable result. I have used hundreds of lenses in my decades of photography, and this is the most absurdly overpriced, overhyped lens I have used, with results that are professionally totally unacceptable. I have been happy with the K-1, and the 24-70 has given me and my clients many good results. I have used the DA* 50/1.4, and it is a remarkably good lens. I have nearly 40 vintage M42/K lenses, all of which I have enjoyed using in one way or another. This lens is singularly disappointing, given its reputation and its astoundingly out-of-alignment price, and I stand by my abysmally low rating without any hesitation whatsoever. If you are a hobbyist who enjoys fiddling around with overpriced glass in order to achieve decent results, I am in no position to stop you. As someone who needs his gear to work well without any time for second-guessing, I can tell you that this is not that lens.

Registered: April, 2020
Location: Ferrara Italia

Lens Review Date: November 14, 2021 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K1

Used a few times but with great satisfaction. Just close the aperture a couple of stops and it becomes a wonderful lens.

Registered: June, 2020

Lens Review Date: May 24, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,111.10 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Sharp enough, bokeh is nice when wide open
Cons: Vignettes under f2.8, some purple fringing below f3
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-1 II

A brand new 20 year old lens. Must be knocked down a few stops to avoid pretty poor vignetting. Purple fringing is visible in high contrast areas, but not too bad even wide open, pretty gone after about three stops. Must use camera body switch to change into manual focus mode, you cannot just override the focus by turning the lens. If you want a prime wide angle for your K-1 then this does get you the best one available from Pentax, but still can't be used in the care-free way the state of the art D FA 50 1.4 can be. In return, it's not the size or weight of the 50 either.
Remember to update your firmware before use.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!