Log in or register to remove ads.

Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » FA Prime Lenses
HD Pentax-FA 77mm Limited F1.8 Review RSS Feed

10.0
 10.0
1 5,959 Thu April 28, 2022
No recommendations $600.00 9.00

HD Pentax-FA 77mm Limited F1.8

This modernized version of the iconic SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited features updated HD coatings and rounded aperture blades.

HD Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
Automatic, 9 blades (rounded)

Full frame: 31.5 ° / 26 °
Built-in, slide out
Pouch (P60-120)
Dedicated metal push-on (O-LW54A)
Ghostless,HD,SP
2021 to present (in production)
$799 USD at launch
HD PENTAX-FA 1:1.8 77mm Limited
27890 (silver), 27880 (black)
FREE (Fixed Rear Element Extension) focusing system. Rounded aperture from F1.8 to F4.

Screwdrive AutofocusBuilt-in HoodAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame Support
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-FA 77mm Limited F1.8
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-FA 77mm Limited F1.8 in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-FA 77mm Limited F1.8 Buy the HD Pentax-FA 77mm Limited F1.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-1 of 1

Registered: October, 2019
Lens Review Date: April 28, 2022 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: construction, very nice focus, size and weight.
Cons: purple fringing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: k1, k70

I'm a little embarrassed to be the first to review the lens here. I bought used this lens a few months ago to complete my trio with the 31 and 43 that I owned not in HD version. I had never used the FA version so nothing I can say about this comparison. The first thing I noticed is that the wonderful lens retains some defects that were already their own (at least from I read). The appearance of purple fringes in high-contrast situations has been highlighted since the first tests. It made me a little curious because I had not encountered these problems, or very small size for brothers 31 and 43. In real tests, however, the lens turned out to be for what it is. A great portrait lens (less for landscape but I don't practice it). its bokeh is truly breathtaking.

I haven't done the updates yet because I wanted to see if there were actually improvements by trying better on the two bodies.

It has a beautiful focus and I love the softness at the right point of the shots with very open apertures. Just close two to three stops and the lens becomes very sharp. I found a good reactivity of the af, especially on the k70, even on moving subjects like my dog. On k1 it is precise and effective on static subjects, a little less reactive on dynamic ones. It is a pleasure to handle and carry around. I am a lover of the 31 which remains my favorite lens for the greater use of my way of photographing, but I must say that for portraiture the lens has that very special fairy dust for me. I am very happy and satisfied. If someone hates the imperfections that may arise in certain circumstances, look elsewhere or may think they have spent their money badly. For all the others, I see no particular reasons not to swear eternal fidelity. I gave nine overall only because for me 10 only has 31, but I'm a fan.
I recommend the goal only that the option above leaves me alone no, I don't know why.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!