Log in or register to remove ads.

Review statistics for MikeGatchPhotography
Latest Review Posted SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
This was a difficult one to justify. I have some killer glass in this range already. My vivitar series 1 90mm f2.5 macro, and a SMC Takumar 85mm f1.9. While they are both phenomenal lenses, the 77mm just has that edge overall. I saw a deal on the marketplace here I couldn't pass up and pulled the trigger on this beauty. I have had the 31mm limited for almost a decade now and it's been my go to for a lot of my paid work. It's the lens I trust to deliver the goods every time I secure it to my camera. The 77mm has joined the 31mm in this aspect as well! In fact, I find myself reaching for the 77mm and often want to use it over the 31mm for a lot of my recent automotive work.

I actually do have some complaints about this lens though. The main issue I have is the manual focus experience. My fingers are often left wandering each time I reach up to locate the focus ring. I often end up on the hood initially and it's been a frustrating learning curve. I have been using AF more than ever thanks to this little frustration. I am not one to trust AF, and while it's certainly not infallible it has been seemingly better than the 31mm has been for me in the past.

Aside from these disjointed observations I've been shooting with it quite a lot lately and have a decent album of images over on Flickr for review. Enjoy!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!