Review statistics for SteveM
Latest Review Posted SMC Pentax 400mm F5.6
I picked up this lens after purchasing a "box of lenses" and knew little about it or how it might perform. I was pleasantly surprised after my first outing with the lens. I quite like the colour, sharpness and contrast it produces. It's build quality is typical for a K series lens, with it being very solid and smooth focusing.

This lens is also extremely light for it's focal length and age, making it suitable for a moderate hike or walk. You will also need to take a tripod, as you would with any 300+mm lens. It does take some care as the tripod mount is not balanced and it has a tendency to shake on the tripod, but if you use the 2 second delay or remote, don't mind manual focus, and are patient, chances are you'd be very happy with a copy of the lens.

As mentioned by gofour3, you need to be 27 feet / 8 meters away from your shooting subject. I have found this to be a limiting factor when using the lens.

I have much more expensive telephotos, but they all have their drawbacks and given a limited budget, the K400 would be one lens I would look for.

A shot taken with the K400......

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!