Log in or register to remove ads.

Review statistics for Jonathan Mac
Latest Review Posted SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
I bought this lens to replace the DA 40mm Limited as I wanted an AF standard prime for my film cameras which would also work well on digital. I've shot quite a bit of film on it but not scanned any of the results yet, so at this time this review is based solely on it's performance on my K-3.

I have the silver version because it's what was available used in my city. I would have much preferred black as the silver one looks ugly on my K-3.

Every Pentax fan knows the Limited series, DA and FA, of lenses, and their legendary reputation, and as an owner of all the DA Limited lenses I hankered after the FAs as they are faster and film/FF compatible. The DA 40mm is a nice lens, very handy with great image quality, but only f/2.8, and if you want something faster in that focal length and with AF then this is your only option.

I expected to be enthralled by the 43mm from the start, both in optical and build quality, but I have been disappointed by both. I would say the build quality is poorer than that of the DA Limited lenses, though that's possibly because of the aperture ring, which is light and a little loose when it should be firm. Perhaps the DA Limiteds have an advantage there in not having an aperture ring to let them down. Overall the 43mm feels too light, the metal too thin, and the tolerances too loose, leaving a feeling of fragility and sub-par assembly.

Optically the 43mm is sharp in the very centre wide open, but bear in mind that's on APS-C, so on full...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!