Log in or register to remove ads.

Review statistics for interested_observer
Latest Review Posted HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR
I have had and shot this lens for a bit over a year. I have used this mainly for AstroLandscapes. The results in essentially total darkness are exceptional.

The lens is large, and when mounted on the K1 - the entire unit is large. There is no getting around that. What was staggering is the exceptional detail and color rendering the K1/15-30 combination provides.

I have also taken the lens on a 2 week trip to Alaska. With it being wide angle, I was even able to capture a breaching whale that should have been a telephoto shot - by cropping.

In reviews, it matches the Nikon 14-24/f2.8 Bottom line - I don't know how much more you can expect from a lens this wide.
_________________________

One additional interesting factor that I stumbled across. I prefocus in the afternoon before going out to shoot at night. I have found that I can focus at either 15mm or 30mm and while shooting, move between 15 and 30mm and still maintain focus. That is a large plus for me.

Also, the "Open Aperture" or the physical aperture area at 30mm is twice the area at 15mm. Essentially, you are doubling your light at 30mm than what you are getting at 15mm. This is another major reason why I acquired this lens. I wanted the freedom of a large view (at 15mm) but also wanted the larger aperture area at 30mm. This lens provided me with that capability. The downside is the constant aperture of f2.8 rather than f2, f1.8 or f1.4 - b...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!