Review statistics for Daedbird
Latest Review Posted SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM
This review is a long time coming, and I have had this lens since it came out....well this model of lens, as I will explain. I have had issues with this lens, and my experience shows that maybe not everything was right before Pentax sold to Hoya oh way back when, and this lens suffered.

So I got this lens new to replace the kit lens on my K-10 back in the day. I knew I needed a lens that could let in more light, and I was in favor of using a Pentax-branded lens.

In the years with my K-10, things were just fine. Look this was not a speed demon to its contemporaries then, but I was happy with it, along with the weather sealing, which was very important.

When I slapped this on the K-5 as I upgraded my camera body, this lens began showing its limitations. It just doesn't get as sharp as you would expect it would. I found myself living with the results (or not, as I stowed it for bunches during my year to shoot manual focus). I kept coming back because it was convenient, it had the perfect range I wanted, and I relied on my 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 for detail work.

Then came the K-3. I never had the issue with the motor others had - my lens stopped focusing. That was until I got the K-3. Then I had problems again and again with it. It was weird. It just wouldn't work on the K-3, but it worked fine on my K-5 and K-01. I was on the phone with Support, and they were just like the lens must be dying, be happy you got enough time (to get out of warranty) with it.

Then, doi...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!