Review statistics for DonThomaso
Latest Review Posted Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR/Super-Takumar 135mm F2.5
This review is for a good condition S-M-C TAKUMAR 135mm F2.5, model 1.

PROS

Character (bokeh, transitions)
Build quality
Image quality (contrast, sharpness)
Fun to use

CONS

6-bladed aperture (no issue wide open, but can be unflattering stopped down)
A bit long on APS-C for general portraiture
Difficult to focus with optical viewfinder (K-3, K-3 II)

I USE IT FOR

Portraits (full body, half-body, headshots)

I have a lot of M42 S-M-C TAKUMARS, including the 85/1.8 and 105/2.8 that are two other nice portrait lenses. Also a lot of Limited lenses, e.g. both FA77 Ltd and DA70 Ltd. I shoot a lot of portraiture, and enjoy using manual glass when possible. Mainly for fun, but have used the S-M-C TAK 85/1.8 for paid work as well.

Lets start with the negative. The 135mm focal length is fine on full frame, but becomes too long imho on APS-C (200mm equilv.). That together with the OVF of the Pentax DSLRs' makes it tricky to nail focus (I have not tried it on K-1 so might be a different experience). I have used it a lot on my Fujifilm X-T2 with a speedbooster (both Mitakon Lens Turbo II and Kipon Baveyes) with great results, as it gives back the full-frame properties, easy to focus with EVF + focus peaking, and the extra benefit of 1 stop brighter. Image quality wise the only issue I have is the 6-bladed aperture that will look unflattering if stopped down in portraiture work, fortunately I shoot it mainly wide open :)

The rest is only positives. Build ...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!