Review statistics for savoche
Latest Review Posted SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED
Probably my most-used lens by number of pictures taken, even though I rarely shoot with tele (or zoom) at home. It's my go-to travel lens and safari lens. The small size makes it perfect for travel and for carrying on walking safaris.

I find the sharpness quite good at all focal lengths (including at 300mm) and all apertures. It does sharpen up some when stopped down to f/8, but it's good enough at 300/5.8 that I don't hesitate to use it when needed.

It has a long focus throw, so if it misses focus and has to rack all the way to minimum and out again it's slow - and noisy. This was mostly a problem I had with the K-5 in low light, though, and not so much on the K-3 - and even less on the K-1.

Yes, I use it on the K-1, and in FF mode. It does vignette some at 300mm (more near infinity than at closer range, I think). Crop to 4x5 or 16x9 and it's mostly gone. Around 200mm I can't see any vignetting at all. At the short end it's somewhat more. Note: I have not tried to shoot without the hood at the wider end; it might be that it would help. Until a compact full-frame tele zoom is released this will cover my needs well enough.

The bokeh isn't too bad even at f/8.
K-3, 300mm f/8
https://live.staticflickr.com/5720/22902580389_9de7b7da6b_b.jpgCape fox pup by -savoche-, on Flickr

The somewhat slow autofocus can be remedied with a bit of planning.
K-3, 230mm f/8
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/23270523805_1f45191a4c_b.jpgPale chanting goshawk by -savoche-, on Fli...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!