Review statistics for stanb
Latest Review Posted SMC Pentax-F* 600mm F4 ED [IF]
Mr. Ron Boggs offered a great review of the same lens under FA name. I think the difference is only in color. He is absolutely 100% on target with everything. I can't better his review.

Why do I offer a 9 rating? You need strength and stamina. I can walk with this lens for a few hours, but it kills my shoulder (ask any 600 owner).

Because of the magnification factor (18x with digital bodies) you need a perfect technique to get the results. If there is something wrong with the images, it is the yours truly who is at fault.

Yes, it is soft at 4.0, but very usable. I have some shots of spoonbills taken at bad light and the images after some USM are just great.

Personally, I prefer to use it at f8.0. This way, because of shallow depth of field, my images are sharp. Also, I like to use ISO 400 so I can get a good shutter speed. K10D performs very well at 400. To improve the quality, I can run the image through the Noise Ninja (love it) and I get a super sharp picture with no grain. But on many occasions I can get absolutely sharp images of non-moving objects at 1/160 sec only without using a remote. Seems that SR is not a factor here at all. I hardly ever use it. It took me time to learn, a long time, to finally be satisfied with the results. The learning curve because if the weight, magnification and sensitivity to any movement is steep. It is not a lens for everybody. For example, even your breathing can be sensed by the lens through your finger...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!