Log in or register to remove ads.

Review statistics for Sandy Hancock
Latest Review Posted HD Pentax-DA* 11-18mm F2.8 ED DC AW
Leading up to its release I was not enthusiastic about this lens. I've been very happy with the DFA15-30 on full frame, and saw the limitations of the smaller focal range more than the potential advantages. Of the latter, there are many. I'm very glad I decided to pre-order one.

Compared to the DFA15-30, it is tiny. It is nowhere near as front heavy. It takes normal 82mm filters. It has AW sealing rather than WR. It has a AF/MF switch and a focus lock. The hood is better. Flare resistance is better. For the serious astrophotographer, it has been designed to accept a front element warmer. The difference in build quality is marked - it really feels like a Pentax Star lens. I initially thought it was an internal zoom design, but although the filter thread does not move, the front element actually retracts slightly from 11mm to 16mm, only to extend infinitesimally back out to 18mm.

Optically it is pretty hard to fault, accepting the limitations of ultra-wide lenses. It is very sharp from wide open over most of the frame, but it does take f/8.0 or so to really crisp up the corners. There is some purple and green fringing in the peripheries in high contrast situations, but it's easily corrected in PP. Distortion is negligible. Looking really critically, I think my copy might be very slightly de-centred, but probably not enough to be worth the hassle of getting it adjusted.

In reality I'd probably rate it 9.5, but I'll round it up to a ten. I might keep the 15-30 for serio...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!