Review statistics for Marc Langille
Latest Review Posted SMC Pentax-FA* 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF]
Brilliant, even on digital: I highly doubt I will ever part with this lens. The FA* 250-600/5.6 is definitely better - not by a big margin - than the Sigma 500/4.5 EX DG APO lens I used. That's because it's sharp wide open, while the Sigma is best when stopped down a bit. Buy the Sigma if it's available though - it's truly a fine lens.

This heavier lens - like any larger super telephoto - requires top shelf tripod + gimbal head gear to bring out the best images. I have a Gitzo GT3541XLS, Wimberley WH-200 gimbal head and Wimberley P-50 lens plate - three screws hold the almost 7" long plate to the tripod collar foot. I've not really tried it on a monopod yet, but I now have a Wimberley C-10 QR clamp to mount on my monopod so I am looking forward to seeing it in action.

As Ron and Kerrick indicated, it's a fantastic lens. This is by far the better lens of choice and the MFD kicks the competition around by a good margin. Most 600/4 lenses start at 15.5 feet and go up - that's the lowest in class of any 600mm - next 600mm is 15 feet - great for shooting in a blind/hide. Only Nikon's newest 600/4 is on par with the FA* 600/4 in that aspect. Having a max. aperture of F/5.6 is but a small trade off for it's flexibility. When the light is getting that low, it's becoming a compromise anyway. All wrapped up into a unique FL zoom.

What's astounding is that the FA* 250-600/5.6 is unbelievably sharp even wide open throughout the entire FL range. The proof is in the images ...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!