Showing all 2 reviews by ambrosius

Review of: SMC Pentax-M 100mm F2.8 by ambrosius on Thu October 6, 2016 | Rating: 10 View more reviews
SMC_Pentax_M_100mm_F28.jpg

Views: 215783
Reviews: 50
This is my main portrait lens on my a7. My copy is in great condition, like new, the glass was incredibly clean and cosmetically in perfect condition. The focus grease was a bit dry, so I relubed it and now it really is a joy to use. The lens is very small, with is a big plus. I was astonished when I saw the first portraits. I didn't expect such a great image quality. At f2.8 is very sharp, but not excessively sharp, and contrast was a bit flat. But microcontrast is at a very good level at this point. It vignettes a bit. Very good for portraits. At f2.8 it has a bit of purple fringing, but not so much! When stopped down it becomes great. At f5.6 sharpness in incredibly high, and focusing at infinity gives excellent sharpness across the frame on a FF camera. Very impressive. Bokeh is very beautiful and smooth at all apertures and seems to resist flare very well. The six aperture blades make a smi-circular shape until f5.6, but I really wish it had more of them. 8 blades would be perfect. I recommend this lens!

Review of: SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 by ambrosius on Mon April 4, 2016 | Rating: 10 View more reviews
smc_Pentax-M_50mm_F1_7.jpg

Views: 761013
Reviews: 231
This lens lives on my a7. I am a 50mm focal length fan, and have tried a lot of lenses, including Zeiss, and I must say I was very surprised with the amazingly beatiful pictures this little gem gives me mounted on my a7. Seriously, this one is the best 50mm equivalent I have had. Small, very solid and well built, beatiful design, smooth focus with satisfying aperture clics, it is a pure joy to use. And image quality is just beautiful. Sharp, can be really sharp, renders colors in a wonderful way, with deep reds and amazing green tones, smooth and natural skin tones. Microcontrast seems to be very high due to SMC coatings, no much inferior to Zeiss in my opinion. Slight vignetting at F1.7, almost no distortion. A great quality is the smooth and incredibily beautiful bokeh this jewel has. It shines on portraits on FF at F1.7, close up pictures of flowers can be breathtaking. The only negative thing may be the slight CA and purple fringing at f1.7, wich dissapears at f2. Also borders are slighty soafter than centre until f5.6, but not really objectionable until A4 enlargings. Surprisingly, landscape photographs are not bad fully open at normal and small print sizes. At f8 you get amazing landscape shots, plenty of sharpness and with natural, warm colors. Distortion is negligible and this lens fights very well against flare, but I always use a hood anyways. It vignettes at F1.7, but in a very elegant and beautifil, classic way. I like how it does so much so I rarely correct this. If you own a A7 camera, dont spend money on expensive Zeiss Loxia lenses, this one is great and a perfect companion for an a7 series camera, looks balanced as it was designed for the a7. I like it so much so I got another one and this will be my main lens.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!