Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 WR Review
The DA 50-200 is a consumer or entry level lens and it fits this bill on all levels. It is reasonably priced, light weight, compact, and covers a wide zoom range. It has good image quality through most of its range, though the aperture restrictions, combined with its long reach, require there to be plenty of light to achieve it. Likewise, in good light , autofocus is accurate and fast, though it hunts a lot in darker situations, and often requires patience or manual intervention to get it to settle. Weather resistance assures users never need be without a camera when they make that big catch or their child scores the big goal, regardless of location and weather.
Who is This Lens For
The DA 50-200 is a consumer-grade lens and is targeted at the new DSLR user or hobbyist/enthusiast. It does not allow for a constant aperture setting, open to f2.8 or have a focus drive motor, so pros or even semi pros will probably not be looking at this lens. It is, however, perfect for students, hobby photographers and the average family.
Pros and Cons
- Great build quality at a low price
- Weather and dust sealing
- Compact and lightweight
- Easy to use, intuitive controls
- Good image quality in daylight or when light is abundant
- Wide zoom range
- Hood with a window, for access to adjustable filters, included
- Sharpness falls off quickly at larger apertures and smaller focal lengths
- Slow autofocus, especially with long focal lengths
- Not good indoors or at night due to slow aperture and long focal lengths
- Focus ring is a little narrow
Do you already own this lens? If so, it would be great to hear what you think of it. Please post a review in the Pentax Lens Reviews area If not, does this sound like you will own it soon? You can get your DA 50-200mm WR now at B&H photo for a great price, and free shipping!
This article was written for PentaxForums.com by Jayson Lorenzen (jays0n)
Page 7 of 7 | First Page