Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Russian and Zenitar Lenses » Prime Lenses
3M-5A-MC CCCP / MTO 500mm F8 maksutov mirror Review RSS Feed

6.3
 5.3
7 42,600 Sat September 16, 2017

3M-5A-MC CCCP / MTO 500mm F8 maksutov mirror

These are Russian built "maksutov" mirror lenses. Blog posts suggest the MTO is often a M39 screw thread mount; the 3M-5A is the soviet style "t-mount" - the mount will remove to leave a mounting like the internal collar of a standard t-mount. Other t-rings can then be fitted tough there is a mix 'n match process to find one that is the same size internally. Note that there is no M42 x 0.75 thread - don't try to unscrew the mount.
Pics 1, 2 are of a 3M-5A; pic 3 of a MTO. Note the MTO particularly can have problems mounting on dslr due to the lens base coming up against the protruding prism housing on many cameras.
There is also a 3M-6A 500mm f5.6.

Manual focus with fixed aperture makes using this lens a simplified manual experience as you only need to worry about ISO and shutter speed.
There are two lens collar mount points, one for portrait and one for landscape. Each point has 2 screw sizes to fit a most tripods.
There is a built in retractable hood, which must be used in order to reach the focus ring under it.
A full set is a cased lens with 4 filters, orange, green, UV and a NC type filter.
The filter size is 77mm.
Focus past infinity, same as most mirror lens.

On a film camera the lens is a joy to use with the bright viewfinders and split prism, with my KX, focus indicator light is come on, but can be hit and miss. Contrast, sharpness and colour are fine, nothing outstanding. I find my DAL 55-300mm cropped gives comparable results to 500mm shots produced with this lens.

Photo.net review.
Mount Type: M42 Screwmount

Add Review of 3M-5A-MC CCCP / MTO 500mm F8 maksutov mirror
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-7 of 7

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Pisz, Poland
Lens Review Date: September 16, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: bokeh
Cons: value
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 5    Value: 8

Registered: October, 2014
Location: Washington
Lens Review Date: January 20, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and relatively easy to hand hold
Cons: heavy
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Handling: 5    Value: 10    Camera Used: k3

I had a Sigma 600mm mirror. There is no comparison. The 3m-5a is a close to a conventional lens as you can get. The image attached is my standard test shot hand held. It shows shadow detail, highlight detail, ca, contrast and bokeh. I am amazed at how this lens performs. The contrast is a little low but nothing you can't correct in any program. It is a keeper!

IMGP3772 by teamrimfire, on Flickr

Registered: March, 2014
Lens Review Date: March 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: the optics are first class-best mirror i have ever used.
Cons: 4 meters minimum focus, clearence issues with some D slrs's
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 6    Value: 9    Camera Used: Nikon D7000

Read about these lenses here, and made me want to try one. Just did my first images with it, and although the keeper rate is still low (not unusual for a 500mm anything) there are enough stellar shots that its a keeper already. total freedom from CA's, and very good color and contrast for a mirror lens, or any lens. here are a couple of shots i took with it today

Location: Sunny Dun(ny)fermline, Fife
Lens Review Date: July 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Capable of pretty sharp results
Cons: the weight and the fixed aperture
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 4    Handling: 5    Value: 10

Bought this as a means of trying my hand at telephoto before I splash out on an expensive lens. I had a 500mm f8 mirror lens before (a Centon) which I absolutely hated. Having read reviews here I feel the general consensus is that a good mirror will not be as good as a good regular lens so I can assume that the MTO is a good example of a mirror lens because I think the results are quite sharp.
The build is very solid and the lens is substantially bigger and heavier than the Centon that I hated so much.
The lack of aperture control is a source of frustration but I think the lens can be got at a terrific price and ultimately if you move on you would probably recoup your costs when selling on

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Klaipeda

Lens Review Date: November 14, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

This is Russian made lens

Registered: September, 2011
Lens Review Date: September 23, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Optical quality, comstruction
Cons: Weight

It is a solid, well built, and optical quality is excellent for being a mirror lens,
I own several mirror lenses (none more expensive than 400 $) including other MTO's and the Tamron 500 f8, and this is the best performer.
I am amazed by the total lack of aberration.
It is a tripod-only lens (1,2 kg),

Location: Iowa
Lens Review Date: May 6, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight, good image quality, no CA or PF
Cons: Fixed f:8 aperture

After using several mirror lenses for wildlife & bird photography, I picked up one of these from a fellow forum member. I was about to give up on mirror lenses, but I thought I'd give it just one more go. Since it's a widely held opinion that the two best mirror lenses are the 3M and the Tamron SP, (with a slight edge in performance given to the 3M) I confined my last-ditch mirror lens purchase to one of those.

With other mirror lenses, I was always dissapointed with the image quality. Poor detail rendering, washed-out colors, and low contrast tainted my opinion of what a mirror lens could do. I wasn't too optimistic when I screwed my new acquisition onto my trusty *ist DS and took a few test shots of mundane objects in my yard. I was stunned to find a handheld shot of a weathered shed door revealing a surprising level of detail that other mirror lenses failed to show. Every grain and blemish on the wood, and every speck of rust on the padlock were tack sharp, even at full resolution. A random shot of tree bark showed equally crisp detail and excellent contrast. Colors were also much more vivid than any other mirror lens I tried. It had the usual mirror lens "donut" bokeh, but it was smoother and less distracting than with other mirror lenses I've tried.

In fact, I would rate the overall image quality as comparable with my Tamron SP 60-300mm zoom, which is no slouch. To make a long story short, this one's a keeper! The only reason I'm not rating it a "10" is because it's a fixed aperture f:8 design, which really is a non-issue for me.

I used to lust after a Bigma... Not so much anymore. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if I had a Bigma, I'd still use this one more.

Here are a few test shots I took with it:

I just took these as quick & dirty test shots. Nothing fancy. All were taken at ISO 800 (which accounts for the grain), handheld, with an *ist DS body.

And here's a direct comparison of the 3M vs. Tamron SP, with test shots:

In the above comparison, the Tamron shots look good, but I think the shots taken with the 3M have just a bit better contrast.

On mounting this lens to a Pentax DSLR: There are at least two versions of this lens. The one pictured (the earlier 3M-5A-MC) has a retractable lens hood, tripod collar, and is a larger diameter than the one I have (the later 3M-5CA model). Mine lacks the retractable hood and tripod collar, so it's smaller. My copy is an M42 mount. I use a cheap, flanged (non-infinity focusing) M42 to PK adapter from eBay (around $6) for this lens. On a conventional lens, the flanged adapters don't allow infinity focusing, but since mirror lenses focus past infinity anyway, the cheap adapter allows infinity focusing with no problem. When mounted to either my *ist DS or K100D, the rear edge of the lens barely clears the overhang of the pentaprism... just enough to work. Other Pentax DSLRs have less of an overhang, so it would be even less of a concern on those cameras. If you're considering buying this lens for an *ist DS or K100D, look for the 3M-5CA version like mine, without the retractable hood or tripod collar. Otherwise, mounting could be a problem. I basically converted mine to a PK mount by screwing the adapter onto the lens very tightly with a PK rear lens cap. It's tight enough that it prevents the adapter from unscrewing from the lens when dismounting the lens. Pretty slick. The cheap flanged adapters also have a lens locking pin slot that locks the lens to the camera just like a conventional PK mount lens, so that's also a plus.

If you want a good mirror lens, this (or the Tamron SP) is the one to go with.
Add Review of 3M-5A-MC CCCP / MTO 500mm F8 maksutov mirror

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!