Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Carl Zeiss Lenses » Prime Lenses
Carl Zeiss 50mm F1.8 Ultron Review RSS Feed

Concave Front element
$450.00 on ebay
Mount Type:

Add Review of Carl Zeiss 50mm F1.8 Ultron
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-4 of 4

Registered: February, 2017
Lens Review Date: May 3, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even wide open
Cons: Only takes Zeiss B50 filters
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A6000

I love this lens!
I was fortunate to find this as part of a local auction lot. I picket up the entire lot for $119. I have already sold some of the lessor items and made beck my purchase price!!

The lens is about the sharpest I've used on my Sony A6000. My copy is the M42 version and came mounted on an Icarex 35S. The focus and aperture rings are smooth with non clicking motion in the aperture ring.

The lens produces a wonderful bokeh while still being very sharp wide open! I even like the lens flare it produces.

The lens came with two of the original Zeiss lens hoods and a set of Zeiss close up filters. Unfortunately the UV and polarizer filters that also came with it had issues and are not usable.

Other than the lens requiring a Zeiss B50 filter type and the lens being somewhat heavy, I have nothing bad to say about this lens.

Lens Review Date: March 12, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: amazing sharpness
Cons: minimal CA's wide open
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: k-x, spotmatic, fuji x-e1

high contrast
f5.6 very sharp
very good colors
very expensive

Registered: February, 2009
Lens Review Date: February 27, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

see the poor cousin at

Registered: October, 2010
Location: bronx

Lens Review Date: December 18, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly Sharp
Cons: Beautiful bokeh "Bouquet "

Carl Zeiss Ultron 50mm f1.8 concave front element

42mm Pentax Screw Mount

Has a reputation superior to Leica Summitar f/2 and Summicron f/2 first generation.

Depth of field button on lens must be held to use lens stopped down.

I owned this lens in 1970 on a Zeiss Icarex 35s TM PRO that I owned till 1979.

Nostalgia set in over the summer and I decided to look for one.

After a 2 month search I found one. My plan was to use it on the Icarex film camera.

Thant did not last long.

So it seemed the easiest way to use the lens and test it was on a pentax digital camera with 42mm adapter.

I settled on the K-X.

Well this lens is amazing.

I blew away the standard SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL

But I had nothing to else compare it to.

So I bought a few lenses to compare.
Super Takumar 50mm F1.4
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4
SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7

Well it blows them all away. Now it's a shelf queen.
Add Review of Carl Zeiss 50mm F1.8 Ultron

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!