Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Carl Zeiss Lenses » Prime Lenses
Carl Zeiss Jena - Tessar 50mm f/2.8  (Preset) Review RSS Feed

Carl Zeiss Jena - Tessar 50mm f/2.8 (Preset)

3 11,141 Thu September 27, 2018

Preset - f/2.8 to f/16
MFD = 0.5 m
No Auto/Man clutch
Mount Type:

Add Review of Carl Zeiss Jena - Tessar 50mm f/2.8  (Preset)
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-3 of 3

Registered: February, 2017
Location: amsterdam
Lens Review Date: September 27, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: super sharp, colortrue and nice contrast
Cons: the rings are a bit tiny to dial. Very soft on 2,8
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

A friend gave me an old Praktica German camera from the 60ies. it was rubbish, he said, but would make a good prop. I decided to check out the attached lens. It was so dirty, I worked on it for quite some time to clear the glass. With my 8 dollar Pentax K to M42 ring I attached it to my K-1. I was absolutely stunned when I shot with it. We shoot for our clients all over the globe and I took a huge risk to only bring a set of analog lenses with me for a 4 week gig. The shots with the Tessar 2,8/50 turned out stunning, pretty sharp and in great color. But with that analog feeling. You should dial it up to 8 and stay away from the 2.8. It gets really soft on 2,8.
So, if you want to make your clients happy with your photography, consider an analog lens for your next project. I own a bunch and love my Carl Zeiss Jena 2,8/50. btw, I never told my friend I use his lens. He's a photographer as well (married to Nikon). Some secrets are best kept from those you love ;-)

Lens Review Date: March 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very sharp "eagle eye" by zeiss
Cons: very few CA's in the edges
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: fuji x-e1

comparted with Domiplan 2,8/50 (3/3): another world (4/3)

my item for exa, but with adapter suitable to x-e1

f5,6-8 very sharp, good contrast and colors

very few CA's in the corners

with an additional achromatic macro lens in front of this lens: phantastic results

Location: Lost in translation ...
Lens Review Date: May 3, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Build, Close focus
Cons: No Auto/Man clutch

Bonjour,

Found this CZJ at the bottom of a bin at the thrift store and purchased it for 2. The glass is OK, but the lens exterior is heavily marked, filter ring damaged, some markings on aperture preset ring illegible and the focus ring was seizing and very stiff near infinity. Pulled the lens apart (only one screw to remove on back base mount), cleaned and re-lubed ... focus ring now rotates normally. Super-glued the pin to have a full-time working aperture ...

I have only tested indoors and with marginal results ... also I have to pull the lens apart (again) because it will not focus at infinity. Giving it a "7" across the board rating until I can try to regain infinity and test outdoors ...

Here's what it looks like on the K-5 using a Pentax M42 adapter ... J

EDIT: Here's some quick snaps in the garden ... no PP.
Also, pulled apart for a second time and still do not have infinity.

f 2.8

f 8
Add Review of Carl Zeiss Jena - Tessar 50mm f/2.8  (Preset)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!