Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Carl Zeiss Lenses » Prime Lenses
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 Pentacon Six mount. Review RSS Feed

Focus distance - 1.7m to infinity
Filter diameter - 86mm
Weight - 1350g or 47,6oz
Lenght - 120mm or 4,7in
Optical build - 5 element in 3 group.
Mount - Pentacon Six sometimes M42 - but this version is a very rare.
Mount to PK - Adapter from Pentacon Six or Pentacon Six to M42.

Have a tripod mount !.

Legendary lens Sonnar "Olimpia" from medium camera Pentacon Six. This lens have a three version : silver, zebra and MC.

Ideal from portraits.

Second pict Sonnar 180mm and K-3.

If you're curious about "sonnar" lenses this web page is a comprehensive discussion (mostly in Italian but the diagrams are clear). However, as mflenses contributor Gerald comments in this thread, these days "sonnar" aplied to a recent lens is really just a branding rather than a technical descriptor.
Mount Type: Non-Pentax Mount

Add Review of Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 Pentacon Six mount.
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-3 of 3

Lens Review Date: June 16, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tripod mount, Zeiss colors/depth/bokeh, no colored fringing
Cons: Large/heavy, Not technically sharp
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1

My lens is the Zebra version. I purchased my lens very cheap because it's aperture is stuck wide open. So, all of the below images were taken at f/2.8. I may cut some cardboard disks and insert them inside the lens to see how it performs stopped down a bit.

Sharpness is only "average" - you would not want to use this lens for "technical" images that require great sharpness. Big heavy lens, thank goodness for the tripod mount on it - most would not want to handhold it for very long.

But oh, the lovely artistic images it produces!

Compared to my Zeiss ZF 100/2 and Zeiss Milvus 85/1.4 lenses, the sharpness of this older Sonnar design can't compare to these newer designs. However, the bokeh/depth/colors I get out of this older CZJ Sonnar lens are just about as good as the bokeh/colors/depth I get out of these other expensive premium lenses.

[IMG]_IMG0919 by Dave Weber, on Flickr[/IMG]

_IMG0951 by Dave Weber, on Flickr

_IMG0949 by Dave Weber, on Flickr

P.S. I've really come to love the defective version of this lens that I wrote the above review on! In fact, I just spent 4 times ($440) what I purchased the defective one for ($110), to get my hands on one in mint condition. Can't wait to see how this second version performs stopped down a bit.

Location: Warsaw
Lens Review Date: April 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $175.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, sharpness, bokeh, f/2.8, FF & 6x6 ready!!! Very usefull, rotatable tripod collar, lens shade added, superb build quality.
Cons: Size and weight must be considered but rather typical for f/2,8 tele.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

Carl Zeiss 180mm f/2,8 Sonnar lens with PENTAX mount - if it ever existed - I would expect it's price to go high over my abilities. This Pentacon Six lens I got almost new in my friend's shop for good price.

Fully usable wide open, SHARP after next 1/2 click, VERY SHARP from f/4 on.
Strongly lit, contrasty scenes at f/2.8 will be rendered with some "portrait softness", but after 1/2 - 1 click all is ok.

This classic Zeiss lens handles colours and especially skin tones in superb way. Combined with Pentax imaging software and 16MP sensor of the K5 - you get very good results.

CA is rather expected on classic non-ED tele glass. Post processing handles it with no problem, so I don't list it as a drawback.

Size and weight should be taken under the consideration, but any 180-200mm f/2.8 is big and heavy. I have no problem to use it hand-held and thanks to SR - 1/30 is not a problem.

The lens is actually quite compact (thick in diameter though) and a screw-in sunshade is included.

Good lens, great fun!

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 300mm f/4 in P6-mount is another story. See my next review.

Registered: January, 2016
Location: Warsaw

Lens Review Date: January 8, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, colors, coating.
Cons: Is a big and heavy.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 6    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3

I have two version MC and Zebra, in my opinion a MC is better than zebra. This a heavy weight lens and big lens. But sharp and have a nice colors.

K-3 and MC Sonnar at f/2.8
Add Review of Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 Pentacon Six mount.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!