Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Prime Lenses
Focal 28mm f2.8 MC Auto Review RSS Feed

Blades: 8
Min. Focus: 29cm
Mount Type: Pentax K

Add Review of Focal 28mm f2.8 MC Auto
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-1 of 1

Registered: January, 2019
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Lens Review Date: May 31, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $4.50 | Rating: 7

Pros: Build Quality, Handling, Price
Cons: Muted Colours
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 7    Camera Used: Pentax K-S2

I have a K-Mart brand Focal MC Auto 28mm f/2.8 originally made by Makinon (which has it's own page). I know Makinon had issues with quality control, and I wonder if K-Mart included some additional QC requirements in their business agreement as my copy (and, from what I've read, other peoples) isn't as bad as the Makinon-branded version is reputed to be.

A local thrift store find for $6 CAD in Minolta mount, I decided to grab it and bare-minimum have something to play around with. Thanks to the way the lens was designed, it was pretty straight forward to adapt it to K-Mount with Infinity Focus (or close; it's a work in progress).

I haven't had it long, so I need to run it through it's paces yet, but from my limited testing it performs adequately:

Fish Chilling at the Shore, f/5.6-8
I think this image shows the sharpness and lack of distortion across the lens.

Rotting Power Box, unknown f/stop, cropped
I expected this photo to have a lot more fringing and CA; shot in early Spring in direct harsh sunlight. You can even read the digits on the meter, especially in the original uncompressed version.

Behind the Garden Shed, wide open (f/2.8), slight crop
The eight bladed aperture makes for nice round bokeh.

Just a general test shot, f/8 uncropped on APS-C
I think here you really start to see the muted colours.

I think the lens lives up to more than the other reviews suggest, but it's certainly not stellar. Sharpness seems fine to me, with surprisingly little distortion or CA/fringing. The colour seems to tend towards being dark and muted but not dull, similar to another Makinon I own.

I may come back and update this review after using it more; you can find my album of photos taken with this lens here.
Add Review of Focal 28mm f2.8 MC Auto

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!