Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Russian and Zenitar Lenses » Prime Lenses
Industar-50 50mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

7.6
 7.6
22 79,724 Mon October 7, 2019

Industar-50 50mm F3.5

There are several versions of this lens: a silver and a black version, and both are available in M39 and M42 mount. It is a Russian copy of the famous Zeiss Tessar lens. It has 4 elements in 3 groups.
Mount Type:

Add Review of Industar-50 50mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 22

Registered: November, 2016
Lens Review Date: October 7, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp when stopped down from its already slow aperture, ABSOLUTELY TINY, good handling, cheap, colour rendition, clickless aperture.
Cons: Slow (F3.5). Adapter is much bigger (and wider) than lens on mirrorless cameras.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon EOS 350D

Slow former soviet pancake lens which is surprisingly sharp when stopped down, I think it really shines in Autumn with its colour rendition.
For me it sits in the same bag for its characteristics and idiosyncrasies as the Industar 69 (not reviewed here so far, I might step in).
Nothing to lose for having one in your collection. I wouldn't pay more than 20 ($25) dollars for one though.
Also available in M39 mount but is thicker (adapter will be thinner for mirrorless cameras). My versions are black but it can also be found with silver finish.

Registered: June, 2018
Location: Lyon / Rennes
Lens Review Date: December 7, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, surprisingly sharp, very cheap, solid, well built.
Cons: diaphragm ring placement makes that sometimes you change your focus when stopping down.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K30

There's not much to say about this small lens.

It's russian, built in KMZ, Full metal, 4-elements.... M42 mount.... 50mm f/3.5...

It's quite sharp, 38/26 (nothing incredible but very surprising for a lens this small), easy to maintain (you litteraly can grease the focusing helicoid without disassembling the lens), cheap (got mine for 20$).... That's all ! Just buy it ! Really, nothing can't go wrong.

Registered: March, 2013
Location: Highlands, Scotland
Lens Review Date: September 13, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, cheap, very small profile.
Cons: f stop ring a little fiddly to master.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: KP

A hidden gem in my opinion. Still available super cheap on the likes of eBay. I have a black M42 mount version which I use with the Pentax M42 adapter. As with a lot of Russian glass the quality can vary a lot, but I seem to have got a good copy. It renders black and white beautifully with my KP and is astonishingly sharp once you nail manual focus. A great addition for rendering a different 'feel' to your images. Well worth a chance buy if you see one.

Registered: April, 2018
Lens Review Date: May 19, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, sharpness, value
Cons: Appeture ring without stops
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax k5

I have Industar-50-2 (black), first use was not so good, because of bad adapter ring, some light goes thru it. I have redone to big ring and now i'm happy. I have remove helicoid and find to aluminum rings, one thicker i put in outside helicoid, now i have infinity, but little bit stuck aperture ring on 16.
What seams really problem is aperture ring, it's impossible to stop on exact aperture..
This image was made on wide open

Location: Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Lens Review Date: December 22, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $19.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, pancake, bokeh
Cons: tricky focus, flare-prone
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony NEX 5N

I hate to admit it, but I purchased this lens on Etsy after being drawn in by it's pancake aspect. It was only after it arrived and I started playing with it that I realized I had a touchy treasure.

I enjoy using it now. I found that a lens hood is a must. Otherwise it is prone to flares. It can be tricky to focus. It takes a little playing around with it to get used to it. Unlike many lenses, you have to turn the focus ring in the opposite direction of what you are used to.

I found that it is not the easiest lens to use in low light. This is a lens that should be used in normal or bright conditions. I can use it under dim lighting now as I've been using it extensively. This is a lens that can deliver great photos when you learn to work within it's limitations.

The bokeh is nothing special but it can create the sought-after bubble bokeh in the right situations. It is always tack-sharp in the center but I have to stop it down to get nearly edge to edge sharpness. The photos I shoot usually need a little post production to really bring out the clarity, sharpness and colors.

I'm not a street shooter but this would make a great lens for people that are looking for a pancake for that reason. I can't recommend it for action shots but it is great for still-lifes, landscapes and other similar subjects.

Registered: November, 2016

Lens Review Date: October 9, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size , sharpnes
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K30

I bought this litle fellow at Ebay 10 USD, I had to have it. First of all, the size. It fit in a jeans pocket, and if you have a large pocket it disapeare. It is amazingly sharp, even at f/3,5. The aperature adjustment is a bit unusual , but after 10min it is there in your fingers. I had a walk today , and it suprized me with exellent images. Colors are great, and so is the sharpnes.

All images are shoot at f/3,5, straigt from the camera, just converted to JPEG.

If you find one, buy it.

Registered: October, 2013
Lens Review Date: July 7, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.49 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tiny, good colour rendition and sharp lens
Cons: Slow and no infinity focus on M43 cameras (M39 version using M42 converter)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: Olympus O-MD E-M5 Mark II

Very sharp. Very small. Very reasonably priced. The colour that it gives is realistic. What not to like. I would have given it 10 if it focuses to infinity.

I bought it from a Ukranian seller from ebay. Love the lens so far. I wish it was faster but for this size and prize, I should be ashamed complaining....

Actually mine is a L39 version but I am using a converter M39 to M42 to use it on M42 adapter to Olympus O-MD E-M5 digital camera. I will try to use it on my Zenit 11 film camera too later on...

These are few of the sample photos, just resized in PS6 from 16MP to 5MP

Registered: June, 2017
Lens Review Date: June 11, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, sharp, compact
Cons: Bokeh is not too hot
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Nikon D5300

This lens so cheap It wouldn't be fair to say anything bad about it. It gives nice sharp pictures. Color saturation is really nice, It's so small you can it to your pocket. It's easy to hack for your Nikon cameras, so it can be used on every camera.The positives outweight the negatives. The only (kinda) bad thing is the handling, It's a bit weird to handle the aperture ring. I can 100% recommend this lens.

Registered: December, 2016
Lens Review Date: February 4, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Low cost, small, sharp at F8
Cons: Only F3.5
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 7    Value: 8    Camera Used: Fuji X-M1, Olympus E-PL5

I used the M42 version Industar 50-2 with the Russian letters on it.

I have made some impressions for macro photo & video with extension tubes:

Very interesting little lens, probably a Tessar design? Images are sharp at F8 and good at F3.5 on a crop sensor. Bokeh is limited with this lens and can be somewhat untidy looking with background light. When it comes to value one may add a little bit more money an buy an overall better performing lens like the Helios 44 58mm F2.

Registered: November, 2015
Location: Connacht, Ireland
Lens Review Date: August 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: center sharpness from f3.5, size, cost, weight
Cons: aperture ring is easily moved, lens cap doesn't stay put
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 6    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30, K-x, K-5, Z-70

I purchased my Industar 50-2 from a re-seller in Poland. My copy was manufactured in 1974 and came to me in what I would call unused condition. It was physically perfect and looked like it had never seen a day of use.

Over the past three years, I have used this diminutive lens on all of my Pentax bodies (digital and film) with pretty good results. It's a bit fiddly with its very small aperture ring and very compact design, but these are parts of the charm of using this little beast. I frequently put it on my K-30 and slip the combo into a very small bag for carrying. It's frequently a conversation starter, too.

From a performance standpoint, I'm generally impressed with this lens. It's quite sharp in the center even from wide open and I would call it razor sharp across 3/4 of the frame at f8. However, my copy never achieves great corner sharpness on APS-C even above f5.6 and on film corners show obvious blur. On the other hand, this lens is consistent enough from f5.6 to f/8 to work around it if one is aware of these limitations.

Metering between f3.5 and f/8 on my K-30 is also excellent and very consistent. Not so much with K-x.

Flare and loss of contrast is a big issue, even with the tiny front element. However, one can easily shield it with one hand since the lens is so small.

I can definitely recommend this lens. It's very fun to use and the results will surprise most skeptics.

Location: Lost in translation ...
Lens Review Date: January 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, featherweight, performance/price ratio ...
Cons: Almost "too" small for my big fat fingers ...
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10

Bonjour,

Just recently acquired this Soviet (in Cyrillic "Industar-50-2") and have not had to time to put it through its paces in more extensive use, ie outdoors & low light, etc. Mostly indoor tests and a few snaps here and there, but I like what I see ... well worth the acquisition.

No decent samples to add at the moment, thus a "p0rn shot" of it on my K-5 to give all an idea of how diminutive this Industar is ... mounted with an OEM Pentax M42 adapter ring.

Salut, John le Green Frog

Location: Toronto

Lens Review Date: October 9, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $18.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Light, cheap, good quality, difficult to make flare
Cons: Handling (particularly aperture ring), slow, CA in birght light at wider apertures
Handling: 4    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30, K20D, Spotmatic

A decent lens. Nice and tiny, both in size and weight. (If you've got this on a KA mount or later, then expect all the contacts to be completely uncovered.) Available cheaply due to the sheer number of them produced.

That size is also a downside though, as the aperture ring is tiny and a bit of a pain to turn. On the other hand, it does so continuously instead of stepwise. (On the other other hand, you will sometimes find that you're turning the focus ring at the same time.)

At smaller apertures expect to have issues with automatic metering, at least with my copy and the K-30, so dial in some exposure compensation. (I also found that, at smaller apertures, it tended to give photos an extremely cool tone.)

This may sound like it's all negatives, but it's not: I like the lens; the image quality is good; and it's nearly impossible to make flare in my experience. It's just also got some big caveats.

One final one: as with all Eastern Bloc lens, quality can vary a bit between individual lenses.

Some sample images on digital:
Evening Commute by Andrew, on Flickr

And one on film:
Lovezilla by Andrew, on Flickr

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Kaliningrad region
Lens Review Date: June 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, weight, price
Cons: Handling
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 7

Pentax K30 + Industar-50-2 (black)

Registered: February, 2007
Location: Phoenix
Lens Review Date: January 11, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tiny, image quality, it's a conversation starter
Cons: Speed (the flip side of positive aspect #1), aperture ring

Amazing value lens. Image quality is terrific and since it is M42 you can use it in Av mode on a dslr. Very, very small -- I actually stash it in a small outside pocket on my bag. The only downside is the continuous aperture adjustment. I find that I sometimes turn it along with the (very long throw) focus ring when focusing, which is kind of irritating.

With the number that show up on eBay and the PF marketplace, there is little reason not to buy one, even as a novelty.

Registered: May, 2012
Location: New York
Lens Review Date: October 12, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Cheap, Small Good IQ
Cons: Aperture Adjustment, Flare
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10

Definitely underrated, odd looking little fellow. Sharp at F3.5, razor sharp stepped down. Adjusting aperture is pain, especially post focus. Flare prone. Other than that - very impressive results.
Add Review of Industar-50 50mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!