Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Prime Lenses
Kiron / Lester A. Dine 105mm f2.8 Macro Review RSS Feed

10.0
 10.0
22 70,986 Fri January 13, 2017

Kiron / Lester A. Dine 105mm f2.8 Macro

The lens is made in Japan by a company called "Kino Precision" aka Kiron. I know of the following versions (they are all identical - except for exterior design).

Lester A Dine 105mm Macro f2.8 (marketed as dental lens)
Kiron 105mm Macro f2.8 (Kino Precisions own lens name)
Vivitar Series 1 105mm Macro f2.5
Vivitar 100mm Macro f2.8
Ricoh Rikenon 105mm f2.8

Weight: 23.1 oz. (656g)
Length: 4.04 in. (102.5mm)
Filter Diameter: 52mm
Min. Focus: 1.15 feet (.351 meters)
Max. Magnification: 1:1 (life size)
Diagonal FOV:
Horizontal FOV: 23.2 degrees
Horizontal FOV on Digital:
Min. Aperture: f32
Optical Construction: 6 elements in 6 groups, multicoated.

Mount: can be found as M42, PK, PKA (less common) and other mounts of the era.
Mount Type: Pentax K

Add Review of Kiron / Lester A. Dine 105mm f2.8 Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 22

Registered: July, 2016
Location: New York, NY.
Lens Review Date: January 13, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $165.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid construction, sharpness, bokeh.
Cons: Chromatic aberration.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a6000 + Zhongyi focal reducer.

I like its solid construction, sharpness, great bokeh.
Great for macro, wildlife and portraiture.
As downside I could say its CA with open is pretty noticeably in my system, but nothing that post production wouldn't fix.
All the images here shot in RAW and unedited.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Medina, OH

Lens Review Date: October 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $166.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness
Cons: weight
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3

Thanks to ebay seller who accepted my offer of $166 for this macro lens. My copy is #40700538. Weaknesses are weight, which you must get used to, and the not very permanent printing on the body of the lens. You do need a tripod to use the lens, and I have been a miserable failure at hand holding for macro work. If you own this wonderful lens, don't think of it as only a macro. Its sharpness and bokeh make it a great landscape and portrait lens as well.

Registered: March, 2013
Lens Review Date: September 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, bokeh, colors
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5, K-1

Best 100mm class 1:1 K mount lens ever.
Mounted on K-1 in pixel shift mode beat them all under the same parameters and conditions.
End of review.

Appendix: Top 100mm K mount lenses

1. Kiron 105mm f/2.8
2. Pentax-A 100mm f/2.8
3. Pentax F/FA/D-FA/D-FA WR 100mm f/2.8
4. Everything else

Have a nice day!

Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Lens Review Date: July 20, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness, contrast, bokeh (mentioned again)
Sharpness: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5, K3, K1

I have had this lens for 3 or 4 years now and have been using it regularly for macro photography. I absolutely love this lens and really can't find anything wrong with it! Having bought my K1 recently, I intend to use it for portraits as well.
Below is an example of this lens - I use focus stacking to shoot this mushroom.https://www.flickr.com/photos/naim-khan/28153455730/in/dateposted-public/

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Poland, Lublin
Lens Review Date: September 11, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $158.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, colors, building.
Cons: ??? None...
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5 II

Version : Kiron 105/2,8 PKA.
Very, very sharp. Fantastic for macro. Solid.
No comment...

My first sample:

Registered: March, 2015
Lens Review Date: March 6, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! Great color rendition
Cons: slightly heavy but not enough to be bothersome.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K50

Yes this baby is a bit on the heavy side, but as others mentioned build like a tank! I was fortunate to come across an absolutely impeccable one, not even a speck of dust visible. Amazing price really considering the condition, very lucky to have come across it. What a beautiful and sharp (!!) image, and the colors are wonderful. Could well become my new favorite macro lens ever.

Registered: July, 2010
Location: HI
Lens Review Date: December 9, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptional image quality, very sharp ad nice contrast
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

I have gone through a collection of vintage macro lens a few year back and this is the one and only lens remains now. I have owned other legendary macro lens including the Vivitar 55 2.8 and Vivitar S1 70-210 v3 which are great lens, but this lens stands out to be the best of all. It is great with macro shot and a very good portrait lens too. Bokeh might look a little busy when use for portrait but it is very smooth when you need to shoot macro. If you see this lens for a bargain price, go grab it.

On another note, this is a well built lens and mean to last. I have the Lester Dine version of this lens which comes with a film camera and a macro flash. It was a nice kit that comes with a carrying case.

Lens Review Date: December 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k5-II

This macro lens allow to do the "Finger Painting" technnique, is extremely sharp, high recommend, sorry for my poor english https://www.flickr.com/photos/cesarchimey/14932029754/

Registered: September, 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Lens Review Date: September 19, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, long throw focus, contrast, bokeh, 1.1 macro
Cons: None!
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax 5-IIs

Whilst it has all been said already, it can't be said enough that this is a fantastic lens - by far the best lens I have in my kit! The contrast is to die for, and the bokeh is very smooth, though on rare occasions it can get a bit 'busy' in certain light. I also have the Pentax 100mm f2.8 WR macro, and though a very good lens, for me the Kiron has the edge in contrast and bokeh.

Some have mentioned the weight as being an issue. As a dedicated macro lens, I find that I nearly always use it on a tripod with a wired remote and a 2 sec delay. Works a treat and the weight therefore tends to be a non issue.

Location: Greensboro, NC
Lens Review Date: October 31, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Long focus throw, Contrasty colors, Solid build, 1:1 macro
Cons: Heavy?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I have the Lester A. Dine copy of this beauty, which I purchased from a forum member (Thanks, Dave). After having this lens for about a week I told my wife that I wanted to marry it and have babies with it. That did not go over as well as I'd hoped.

It feels really solid handheld and manual focusing is a pleasure. The focus throw is long enough that getting accurate focus is doable except at the shallowest of DOFs.

I've never tested the sharpness at every aperture but anything past f/3.5 has been great for me. This was my first macro lens so the shallow depth of field did take some time to get used to. A steady tripod is a must if you want to get serious with this baby. I also prefer using a remote to trip the shutter but you could just as well use the self-timer.

To those who say it is too heavy -- that is hogwash. You can still take some excellent shots handheld on a bright day. I took this picture of a dragonfly with no extra equipment (flash or tripod). Of course burst mode helps with these kinds of shots.

Overall, great lens. Worth every penny of the $300.

Location: BC - On the 49th parallel
Lens Review Date: June 27, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $123.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Macro ability, colour rendition
Cons: Heavy, a little cumbersome
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 10

Kiron 105mm Macro f2.8

Bought it in Feb 2007 for $123 at auction...along with a Pentax P3n for that price.

Was bowled over by it's wonderful colour renditioning and sharpness - I find it to be a great portrait lens in addition to it being great for Macro work.

It is naturally a bit heavy, but this is a minor complaint. It did discourage me from taking it on a long trip recently, but when I want a good portrait lens, or do Macro photography this is definitely my go-to lens. I don't think I will let it go as long as I shoot Pentax. It's that good.

Feels like a quality piece as well to me. Definitely worth seeking out.

Registered: December, 2009
Location: USA - Delaware
Lens Review Date: October 22, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp even wide open, smooth long throw focus ring, heavy quality all metal built
Cons: absolutely none
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Im reviewing the Vivitar Series 1 105mm F2.5 version. One of the best quality lens I've ever used. Focus is precise and the focus ring is a joy to use. Super sharp even at F2.5. Amazing quality built. Some people complain the lens doesn't perform great for portraits. Not in my experience. Bokeh is creamy and it creates nice 3D portraits when shot at F2.5.

The only downside I can think of is that it is quite heavy and long when focused at the minimum focus distance. This can be a problem if you are shooting handheld and holding the camera w one hand and flash gun in the other. However, that will be a problem with any macro lens of this focal length.

Amazing lens. Buy one if you get a chance!

Location: Houston
Lens Review Date: March 25, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Scapel sharp! Great macro! fantastic color! Built like a tank.
Cons: Lettering wearing off.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I have the Kiron version of this lens This lens is magical!! It does not take a bad shot once you focus it right. It is really sharp and the bokeh is creamy and dreamy. My friends are all asking what lens i am shooting with that gives such amazing pictures. I purchased this after reading the reviews here and I can say this is a lens I wont ever sell! Amazing. Cant wait to use it more and more each day.

One of the Best lens I own hands down. I recommend you get one especially if you like manual focusing.

Location: Portland, OR

Lens Review Date: February 11, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb image and build quality.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Perhaps Kiron's finest lens. It's incredible. I have three of them. Weighs a ton? I think not! It is very well built and will last you and your grandchildren a lifetime. I know many macro shooters that prefer this lens over the modern day equivalents.

Registered: April, 2007
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Lens Review Date: August 20, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $270.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, Looong focus throw, Build Quality, Bokeh, 1:1 Macro
Cons: Purple fringing, lack of contrast wide open, built in lens hood not very good.

I own the Ricoh Rikenon version of this lens.

This lens is quite an amassing thing. Very, very sharp when stopped down, and also with good contrast and colour. It has a wonderfully long focus throw that comes in handy when doing macro work. At 2.8 it is quite fast for being a macro lens, making it useful as a portrait lens. As expected from a macro the bokeh is very smooth and nice, again good for portraits. Being able to shoot a portrait one minute and a 1:1 macro the next without changing the lens is very nice.

It does suffer from poor contrast wide open and purple fringing until a bit stopped down. The built in lens hood is not very big and I suspect it doesn't have all that much effect. On my copy it is also quite loose but considering that the lens is probably 20+ years I can't blame it for being a little worn.
Add Review of Kiron / Lester A. Dine 105mm f2.8 Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!