Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Prime Lenses
Mamiya / Sekor 58mm F 1.7 Review RSS Feed

Mamiya / Sekor 58mm F 1.7

10.0
 10.0
4 20,206 Sat December 16, 2017

This was the original Mamiya / sekor "normal lens, made in Japan, manual / auto switch; F 1.7 to 16

Chrome aperture ring at the base, aperture has 10 leaves (not 6 like the cheaper lenses) This was the upgrade from the F 2 which itself was an upgrade from the F 2.8
Mount Type:

Add Review of Mamiya / Sekor 58mm F 1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-4 of 4

Registered: February, 2017
Lens Review Date: December 16, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh
Cons: Finding an adaptor that fits right.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: A6000

Picked up this lens at an auction as part of a set along with a Tower 32A (Sears) Camera. This camera is also known as a "Mamiya Prismat NP" Included was a Mamiya / Sekor FC 135mm 2.8 and 35mm 2.8. Unfortunately the 135mm has a frozen focus ring and the the 35mm has a small stuff on the rear lens.
The 58mm however is in very nice condition!!

The only issue I had was the aperture trigger mechanism prevents the lens from mounting on the Fotasy adaptor without removing the trigger cover. Another brand of adaptor with a slightly smaller diameter would work perfectly.

At any rate, the lens is very nice! I really like the bokeh and the sharpness is really good too! The photos are from my first attempts at using the lens.

Registered: January, 2017
Lens Review Date: January 15, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I bought a pile of "garbage" in where I found this lens. It was scratchy and not very trustworthy looking, but when I cleaned it and adjusted it onto my camera and took a couple of snapshots I realised this was something special. So I made a comparison of about a dozen of ~50mm lenses in sharpness and bokeh... well, you guessed it already, Mamiya is the winner even this scratchy one! It's sharp, it's nice to handle, it has a very nice bokeh with 10 aperture blades and it's my very favourite normal lens ever since!

Maybe I can take a photo of it as soon as I realize how to add it here...

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Lens Review Date: June 29, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color, bokeh, "pop"
Cons: Aperture ring turns the "wrong way"

Amazing bokeh, very sharp especially stopped down, has a somewhat 3D pop to it. Very well built, too. Solid, and fairly heavy. Noticeably longer reach than the Pentax 50mm lenses, in a very pleasing way.

This lens was the "kit" lens with Mamiya CP and CWP SLRs. Those are pretty cool old cameras, unfortunately mine bit the dust. Unlike many M42 Mamiya lenses, this one has an Auto/Manual switch. I love it.

Lens Review Date: June 5, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: price, build quality
Cons: a little heavy (metal)

Lens focus is nice and smooth; 10 aperture blades,metal lens cap - this lens was made to last and work well
Add Review of Mamiya / Sekor 58mm F 1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!