Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Prime Lenses
Mamiya Sekor  /  Yashinon Tomioka 60mm f2.8 Macro Review RSS Feed

Mamiya Sekor / Yashinon Tomioka 60mm f2.8 Macro

10.0
 10.0
4 20,329 Thu February 7, 2019
Mamiya Sekor  /  Yashinon Tomioka 60mm f2.8 Macro

Two variants of this lens, the Mamiya Sekor and the Yashinon Tomioka. Both are identical optically.
M42 mount
Capable of 1:1 macro
6 bladed aperture
Mount Type:

Add Review of Mamiya Sekor  /  Yashinon Tomioka 60mm f2.8 Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-4 of 4
amateur dirt farmer...

Registered: December, 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Lens Review Date: February 7, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $187.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, color rendition, bokeh
Cons: lack of modern coatings
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

What a lens - this is a lens I've been interested in since I began working with M42 lenses (not too long ago) - it gets rave reviews everywhere I've read, so I kept an eye out for one in a price-range I could swallow and waited..... finally, a BIN on eBay turned up (for less than $200) and I bought it...

all metal and glass, so it is definitely a substantial lens on the front of the K-5 IIs, but not any more so than any other film-era macro... it natively produces a true 1:1 macro, without any adapters, is a preset-M42 mount, and you can usually find it in one of two flavors: Mamiya or Yashinon Tomioka; this is also a Tomioka-designed lens... six-bladed iris that will produce hexa-bokeh, etc...

this lens renders colors beautifully, creates smooth/creamy bokeh (except with specular highlights), and is a joy to use.... the lens does not, however, like strong light sources pointed down the barrel - you'll get flare of all sorts and loss of contrast...

compared to another film-era macro, the Vivitar (Komine) 55mm f2.8:

Mamiya Macro Sekor 60mm vs Vivitar (Komine) 55mm Macro by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

and the shots:

raindrop by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

making bread by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

historic building by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

short walkabout by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

sunset by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

and the rest of this lens' album on flickr:

definitely worthwhile to take a look at, especially if you are an M42-enthusiast or enjoy shooting film...

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Texas
Lens Review Date: December 21, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and great bokeh

I have this lens in the Yashinon variant. I was very fortunate to get a copy of this lens in pristine condition. My father always kept his equipment in pristine condition and this lens was well cased and cared for close to 40 years. It was given to me by my father as he no longer is involved in photography. He purchased this lens about 37 years ago. I was with him the day he purchased the lens at a military base exchange.

This has become one of my favorite manual focus lenses as it is just fun to use with very predictable results. If you do your part the lens will render fabulous pictures. I believe my father even use to use it for portraits on his film camera something that I have not tried but as I recall it even did that well.

First the lens is very sharp even wide open but like others have said it is unique. Its bokeh is very interesting and appealing to me. It just gets sharper as the lens is stopped down. The colors seem to be very accurate and warm.

The lens is very heavy and well built I really like the secondary stop down ring. It allows you to focus and do your composition with the lens wide open and a quick turn brings the aperture down to where it was set. The front element of the lens is very deep so flare is well controlled even without a hood. It is probably my easiest lens to focus on my K-X stock focusing screen and even easier on my new focusing screen. Why I don't know but it just seems to be easier to get a nice sharp focus.

Here is an example with the lens wide open. This is not the best photo I ever taken with it but does show how sharp it is and an a nice example of its bokeh.

Registered: July, 2009
Location: 14er Country
Lens Review Date: November 30, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Different character from the standard "clinical" macro look
Cons: Different character from the standard "clinical" macro look

With very few exceptions, macro lenses seem to optically excellent but kind of "clinical." This lens definitely bucks that trend and has a look all it's own.

What gives it charm is a bit of spherical aberration wide open. Just enough to give that "soft but sharp" kind of look. And don't get me wrong, this is definitely a sharp lens. It's just that highlights can develop a "glow" to them. This shot show the look a little bit:

Flickr Link

I listed this as both a pro and a con for the lens, because it's going to depend on each individual shooter to decide if the look works for them or not.

Keep in mind that this is only evident wide open. Stopping the lens down kills off any spherical aberration and results in a nice, sharp image (although, as the previous poster mentioned, the hexagonal highlights can be a little distracting).

It's definitely one of my favorite tools to reach for in my lens arsenal, but I can understand that others may not appreciate it as much as I do. So an 8 seemed like a good ranking.

Registered: June, 2007
Location: Singapore
Lens Review Date: October 4, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatility, Sharpness, Contrast, 1:1 Macro
Cons: if I had to choose - hexagonal bokeh

Well, i would rate it more technically a 9.5, with 0.5 deducted due to the bokeh.

I've been looking around for a 60mm f2.8 macro (either a mamiya/tomioka or leica) mainly as a walkaround lens. I like the focal length both on film and digital, and the added advantage of a macro or close focus function greatly expands the composition possibilities (a lesson I learnt from the Sigma 24mm f2.8 super wide).

I managed to get a good copy of the mamiya sekor 60mm, and have had it for aobut 6 months now. Have been bringing it to shoot exclusively over the past month to understand the lens better, and now feel confident of sharing my findings here.

It has a pre-set aperture, i.e. the aperture is set using two rings at the front of the lens. It actually helps since its a manual focus lens, and stopping the lens down in front minimises changes to your focusing when you do stop it down. Can't describe properly in words, but when you try it, you will know. In my opinon, quite a clever design for a manual lens.

Sharpness:
Excellent wide open, and gets even better when stopped down. I've stopped it down to f8, and that;s enough for me.

Wide open:

stopped to about f5.6 - note, this is near a 100% crop, used at 1:1 macro

Bokeh:
Great wide open. The background bokeh can get a little busy wide open especially if you're shooting into the light, but I don't see this as a detriment. You can term it as character. Stopped down, it will produce hexagonal bokeh, which is not really to my taste. However, its not that noticeable unless you crop a lot, and in certain cases it can work in the picture's favour.

Samples:

Hexagonal bokeh behind flowers (also note the sharpness)

Colours:
I am not really particular about colours, since it depends on the colour space settings your camera and that this is one attribute that can be pp'-ed quite easier. Here's a sample however of the colour saturation I have achieved with a shot from this lens:

Add Review of Mamiya Sekor  /  Yashinon Tomioka 60mm f2.8 Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!