Review statistics for AntonioS
Latest Review Posted Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70mm f/4
This was the first Leica zoom I had. Bought it in Vienna in pristine condition some years ago. The main reason I decided to buy it was goes back to when I bought a Sigma SD15 camera from Sigma. This camera uses a Foveon sensor and when I bought it, it came with a Sigma 18-50 2.8 Sigma lens and besides costing $480 this lens was a lemon, horrible at the corners. I had a Leica R6 with three primes, a Sumicron-R 50/2, an Elmarit-R 28/2.8 and an Elmar-R 90/4, and since I used them before with my EOS 5D I decided do give them a try with the SD15. The result was a big WOW ! Perfect images, extremely sharp and very pleasant rendering. Then I decided to go for a Leica Zoom. When I was in Vienna, I went to Leicashop and asked for the best zoom they had (used). The manager came with 3 lenses, the 35-70 F3.5, the 35-70 F4 and a 28-70 F-something. I asked him about which one he would pick for himself, he smiled and pointed to the 35-70 F4. Then I bought it. First I used it on the 5D. This lens is much better than the 24-70 F2.8 L in definition. On the Sigma SD15 the images were amazing, on par with the Leica primes I had at that time. The building quality can't be better, no woobing, very precise. Manual focus was very easy with Haoda custom cut focusing screens. Too bad my K3-II and K5-II don't have decent focusing screens. This zoom is an optical marvel. P.S. I used a Leica-R to Canon EF adapter first, then I ordered Leitax mounts for SA and K mount. Leitax adapters are ex...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!