Review statistics for Jonathan Mac
User's Lens View Count 22,431
Latest Lens Addition Tokina_28-105mm_800px_1.jpeg
Tokina 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 Aspherical AF
Latest Review Posted Sigma 75-200mm F3.8 Autofocus
I had high hopes for this lens, based on other reviews. When it arrived, despite being a push-pull, I found that it handled very well and felt good in the hand. But that was the end of the good impressions.

At first it didn't work on my K-3 but did on an old SFXn. A clean of the electronic contacts improved things but on both cameras the electronic connection was lost all the time and the camera didn't know the aperture. I thought, well for what I paid I can put up with that if it provides good images. It doesn't. Apart from 70mm, the results are very soft wide open and don't improve much stopping down to f/5.6. At f/8 they're barely acceptable. At 70mm it doesn't perform too badly but you don't buy a (fairly) fast zoom to use it only at it's shortest focal length or stopped down to f/8.

AF is quick and accurate but noisy. Build quality is good - it's all metal and feels weighty and reassuringly solid.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!