Review statistics for Jonathan Mac
User's Lens View Count 19,018
Latest Lens Addition ricoh_45mm_3.jpg
Ricoh XR Rikenon 45mm f/2.8
Latest Review Posted Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX
After hankering after a 70-200mm f/2.8 for a long time, and having recently missed out on a good deal on the Tamron, I found this used copy of Sigma's original 70-200/2.8 for a decent price and, after some testing, decided to buy.

Up to that point my longer lenses were all either manual primes or slow f/4-5.6-ish AF zooms and the difference between them and a fast 70-200mm is considerable. With this lens I can do things that I couldn't before - capture fast action or get nicely de-focused backgrounds. The price for that ability is the size and weight of a lens of this type, and the cost. That means it's use is limited as it's far too big and heavy for travelling, so it gets used only close to home.

Overall I'm happy with the lens. The output is sharp, even when wide open, but it misses focus often enough to make using it wide open rather hit-and-miss, and I've had what I thought would be great shots spoiled by being slightly out of focus. For that reason I stop down to f/4 or slightly more and I find that I get more keepers that way. Of course, that negates the benefits of having an f/2.8 lens, but that aperture is there if I really need it and in that case I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

The other downside of this lens is that the coatings give an unpleasant an unwelcome yellow/green tint to some images that I have found difficult to correct in PP. It doesn't always happen though, so it's not a huge negative.

The lens has a detachable tripod collar (removal...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!