Review statistics for ProfHankD
User's Lens View Count 642,156
Latest Lens Addition DSC1814sm.jpg
Vivitar 20mm F3.8 Auto Wide-Angle
Latest Review Posted Vivitar Series 1 100-400mm f 4.5-6.7
I have only a few ~400mm lenses, and they're all manual. Thus, when I saw this "made in Japan" Phoenix in nice condition available for $60 (in Sony A mount that I can use with AF on my A7RII via an LA-EA4), I figured it was worth trying. I'm guessing this Phoenix is basically a low-end Cosina product.

The lens looks and feels cheap, but it doesn't really seem to be badly made. I wouldn't call the focus fast nor buttery, and it is sometimes loud enough to perhaps be an issue if shooting video, but given a scene with decent contrast, AF works fine. That's actually surprisingly good because it's f/6.7 at 400mm. The push/pull zoom needs a bit much force around 400mm, and it can slip easily near 100mm, but it's perfectly usable. It's not a small lens, but it's only about half as long as my fixed 400mm lenses, and it's even shorter at 100mm.

Image quality at 100mm is quite respectable, and by 400mm it's still comparable to the best of my f/6.3 400mm primes. Basically, IQ is ok, with fairly low contrast and modest resolution (perhaps 10MP effective on FF wide open, improving when stopped down). There is almost no vignetting. It has about 2.9 pixels worth of transverse CA at 400mm, but the color channels are sharp enough to easily and effectively correct It also suffers some axial CA (bokeh CA), with red/blue fringing in front of the focus distance and green behind, but bokeh are actually fairly nice: no bright ring artifacts nor onion skin (not that we'd expect onio...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!