Review statistics for PGillin
Latest Review Posted Ricoh Auto Rikenon 55mm F1.4
This lens is quite nice. It's sharp enough for me, and, as far as I can tell (I don't enlarge beyond 8x12 or look at prints under a microscope) shows no CA. It has no barrel distortion. It has a spectacularly narrow DOF wide open, but this expands significantly past F2.8. I'm not going to deceive, though, I bought this lens to shoot it wide open. It performs very well wide open. I use it on my Spotmatic with B&W film, so I haven't shot it extensively with color. Both times that I have shot color with it I've been impressed. The coating seems to be similar to, and indeed only a small step down quality-wise, from the Super-Takumars. That is to say, it provides life-like colors which will be muted and soft or vivid and contrasty depending on the film and lighting. It's also very resistant to flare, I've shot about 12 rolls of film with it and only seen flare once or twice, outside, wide open, with no hood. A lens that flares ONLY under those conditions has very good flare control in my opinion. I can't say enough about the positive attributes of this lens (and Ricoh products in general) so I'll leave at this- It is my opinion that Ricoh/Riken, especially during the screw-mount era, was only a step behind Pentax in the race. Quality and performance were top priority, and it shows. That being said, I have three quibbles. Two with the lens in general and one with my specific copy. First, it has a 55mm filter thread. Most Pentax Film-era primes use a 49mm thread. If your kit ...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!