Review statistics for les3547
User's Lens View Count 423
Latest Lens Addition Leica.jpg
Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70mm f/4
Latest Review Posted Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70mm f/4
I confess to being somewhat of a prime snob. When I'm using a zoom I can never get past the feeling I could take better pictures with a prime. But I've wanted one and have tried a great many zooms, yet sold them all. So when I read this Erwin Puts' review of the Leica 35-70mm f/4 Vario-Elmar-R Zoom (taken from his famous compendium), it was difficult to believe the part of his summary that stated: "The LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 35-70 mm f/4 . . . covers three important focal lengths, the 35 mm, the 50 mm and the 70 mm. Its performance is as good, if not better than that of the comparable lenses with fixed focal length at the same apertures, the LEICA SUMMICRON-R 35 mm f/2, the LEICA SUMMILUX-R 35 mm f/1.4, the LEICA SUMMICRON-R 50 mm f/2 and the LEICA SUMMILUX-R 80 mm f/1.4."

Reservations aside, this might be the zoom I'll keep. It breathes all-metal quality, weighs about 520g with the hood, and measures a mere 3" by 2.5" w/o the hood. It close focuses at under two feet, and has a handy macro mode which is selected by pushing the silver button that's above the aperture ring and turning the FL adjustment to just past 70mm. Leitax has an adapter for it, and Lightroom has a profile for it with individual settings for 35, 50, and 70mm focal lengths. There is an aspherical element in the lens, but for some reason Leica declined to include that in the lens' name.

I've so far done some down and dirty comparisons to my Zeiss 35 f2 and my Voigtlander 58 f1.4 at the...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!