Review statistics for Sagitta
User's Lens View Count 26,959
Latest Lens Addition
Sears 70-210 f4.0 Macro/One-Touch Zoom Lens 70-210mm f4.0
Latest Review Posted Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF
I have the 'new' model of this lens.

I absolutely love the bokeh and seperation this lens provides. Its smooth, it takes amazing photos.... and it locks up when the temps start getting towards freezing.

Edit: By "getting towards freezing", I mean anything much below 40 degrees.

Seriously.

I suspect the huge aperture blades have a nice bit of grease employed to help them operate, and said grease can't stand the cold. It could just be my copy, but it really is a problem when 90% of your shots are taken outdoors, and you live in the Frozen Wastes of Maine. We see near-freezing to "Sweet mercy, let it warm up to 10 today" weather around these parts from October through May. That means for 6 months out of the year the lens is relegated to 'indoor only' use.

The lens is awesome, the lens takes fantastic shots - and the lens is the first one Ive seriously considered reselling for something else.

If you live somewhere warm, I can't recommend the lens enough, but if you're an outdoor shooter who lives somewhere where you see ice and snow... move on.

If the lens didn't lock up in the cold, I'd easily give it a 10. Since I can't use it for 50% of the year, I'm docking 50% off the grade and 'not recommending it' with the caveat that if you don't need to worry about cold weather the lens should be an amazing buy.

(One other quibble - Samyangs QC blows. Both the 85mm and 35mm focus well past infinity, which can slow you down having to backt...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!