Review statistics for TenZ.NL
Latest Review Posted Sigma APO 100-300mm F4 EX DG
After a tamron 70-300 and a DA55-300 I finally purchased this lens new with the sigma 1.4x APO DG teleconverter a few years ago. Initially I was divided between this one and the DA*300 F4 but after reading lots of reviews and numerous samples I decided on this one because of the flexability of the zoom. The bear lens is an excelllent piece of work: it`s relatively fast and while the sweetspot is around F5.6, F4 is still very usable on closer distances. It is well build and, like Digitalis allready pointed out, it`s not afraid of a little rain. Furthermore it doesn`t change lenght when zooming, which is a good thing for balance. Abberations are really well controlled and focussing is quite fast and snappy under most circumstances (and it`s screwdriven). On the downside: The bokeh can be a real PITA sometimes, busy and harsh. It has no OS (which I believe is superior to SR on longer focal lenghts) and no focus limitter which would be helpfull for BIF`s and lowlight situations. It is somewhat heavy but what do you expect from a 300mm F4. Personnaly I like the weight because it better to stabilise and eliminates a part of the sway you get with the lighter consumergrade lenses like the DA55-300. Like stated above, I also purchased the 1.4x TC with it. Coupled with the lens gives a noticable dent in IQ, esp on longer distances. Also PF becomes visible. (EDIT: I`m using the TC now without SR and results are much better, my theory is that the TC is not recognized so the SR will ...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!