Review statistics for Stoogie
Latest Review Posted Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro
This lens is, without a doubt, my favourite telephoto zoom I've had the pleasure to use. I rented the 50-135 before I bought this, and found it to have better colours and arguably more pleasing backgrounds (and also it feels like it's less than half the size), but I found it to be slow as molasses to focus. The Tamron is a heck of a lot louder, but it focuses quickly and accurately on the K-3. The lack of a tripod collar on the 50-135 is also an annoyance (I like to shoot on a monopod, and the tripod collar makes it really easy to switch from landscape to portrait). The Tamron also has a shorter minimum focusing distance, which really appealed to me given my love for getting right up close and personal with my subjects while using a telephoto. IQ is pretty stellar; good wide open and nearly unbelievable at f4. The only real complaint I have with the lens is the manual focus clutch system the Tamron implements, which is an ergonomic nightmare. To change from auto focus to manual, you have to not only flick the switch on the body, but also grab the focusing ring on the lens and pull it back. This two-step process might be forgivable, but the clutch mechanism is sometimes tricky, and it can take a little finesse to get it to disengage, which slows the whole process to a crawl. Even worse, disengaging the clutch moves the focus, so you have to start from scratch focusing. That being said, I'm sure that with practice the process will get easier, but every time I go through ...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!