Log in or register to remove ads.

Review statistics for Matthew
User's Lens View Count 495,833
Latest Lens Addition samyang_12mm-f2_8_fisheye_PF-side-pentax.jpg
Samyang 12mm F2.8 ED AS NCS FISH-EYE
Latest Review Posted Samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye CS
Having heard such wonderful things about this lens and seen some nice examples of images, I had somewhat built up my expectations. Now that I have the "Bell+Howell" branded version in my hands, I am a little disappointed but still satisfied with the lens over all.
In almost all respects, the optics of this lens are unique and of good quality. Sharpness is very good across the frame. Colour reproduction is also generally very good and contrast is high. Unfortunately, my copy produces strong purple/green fringing on areas with extreme contrast. I know that LCA is a problem on many fish-eye lenses, but other reviewers have made a point of saying how well controlled these were on this lens. Maybe my copy is worse? I'm going to have to improve my processing to deal with this, as it can be overly distracting in what are otherwise eye catching, brain twisting photographs.
My copy seems to be quite resistant to flare. I only see obvious flare artefacts when a strong light source is just out of the frame or in a corner. Contrast remains good even when shooting into the sun.
The other area that the lens fails is in the method used to cap the lens. The 22 mm thick lens cap can only grip the lens hood if applied at exactly the right angle. What is more, the lens cap has a poor fit and additional gaps at the grips all of which does a poor job of keeping the lens face free of dust (particularly given the fluffy lens bag supplied). The cap needs to be designed tighter and could...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!