Review statistics for shawnbo
Latest Review Posted Samyang ( Opteka, pro-Optics etc) 500mm F6.3 DX
Mirror lenses get a bad rap - yes, they have drawbacks, but they aren't meant to be substitutes for equivalent focal length refracting lenses. There is no way for a $100 lens to outperform a $1,500+ zoom or prime lens. If you don't need 'professional' quality, they are entirely viable. Most of the negative feedback likely comes from the extreme difficulty in focusing them adequately. For those raised on autofocus, this lens is just about unusable. For an old dog like me who started in the Kodachrome days, it's very easy. In fact, I had this lens set up, on the camera, and took very decent photos of an obliging urban coyote less than ten minutes after opening the box. I was quite impressed. With steady hands and ISO 400+, this lens can be hand held in reasonable light. The infamous donut shaped bokeh aspect has been talked to death, and would be a factor if this is the only 500mm you own, but most times it doesn't come into play. I bought the Samyang to get the ability to produce this effect if desired, so it's not a downside for me. Most of my shots are either tightly composed subjects with little background, or at infinity, which eliminates bokeh as an issue. I've been using a Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm) for years, and it's good, but very cumbersome, especially when racked out past 400mm. I wanted a lens with the Bigma's reach without the bulk penalty, or its profile; these small, long reach lenses allow one to be clandestine. The mirror is slightly slower than the...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!