Review statistics for Timber
Latest Review Posted Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm f/2.5 (52B/52BB)
I had a chance to grab a 52BB with the 1:1 tube for only 72 and since this lens was longtime on my wanted list I finally got this lens. First expressions were really good, handling is easy, the focus ring is very smooth. It's a bit strange first that from infinity to about 1 meter you only need to turn a little and then from 1 meter to macro range there is a lot more turning required. I suppose it's due to being a macro lens :)
As a macro lens it really excels I'd say f8-f11 being the sweet spot. At 1:2 macro (without the tube) you have a lot of room, the distance from the subject is like 40 centimeters, which drops down to 20 centimeters at 1:1, which is still a plenty of room to be able to apply ring lights for example.
What I rarely see in Macro lens reviews is the mention of the Raynox DCR-250, which makes almost any lens into a macro lens and achieves even higher magnification with macro lenses. With the Raynox (without the tube) you can get about 1.5:1 magnification and 2.5:1 with the tube. So if you have this lens the Raynox DCR-250 is a very good addition.
But this lens is not only about macro. It is really good for portraits, the bokeh it gives is creamy and dreamy, even at f2.5 it's sharp already to bring out fine details, but from f4 to f11 it's a monster :) I really love this lens and what it brings to the table... and for the price I got it... it's a steal. :)
But let this little test show you what the lens is capable of. Shot with Sony A7ii and zero post p...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!