Review statistics for Audi 5 cyl
Latest Review Posted TAIR-3S 300mm F4.5 - Fotosniper 12 ensemble
First of all, I like manual 300 mm lenses. Tair 3S is no exception.

I bought it on the flea market for 13 euros, together with a pistol grip and a rubber hood. Aperture was stuck wide open, the reason being the rotten rusty springs that are closing the aperture. I have cleaned all the rust inside, re-lubricated the lens and replaced the springs and it worked great. I hated the sound of the cocking aperture (birds did too) so i removed the cocking aperture lever as well and now I use the pin that engaged this lever to engage the remote control of the shutter. If you have one, and did not lubricate the focusing mechanism, I advise this as a priority, I think it is essential for precision and long life of the gear.

They do not lie when they say that this lens is sharp, It is super sharp. I've tested it against my Sigma DL zoom 75-300mm f4 and Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 300mm f4 and I find it to be sharper than both of them. Not to mention the ease of use compared to the CZJ elephant.

Now, about the ease of use.

It is a heavy lens and it is difficult to carry around for hours but with a leather strap that goes with a pistol grip it is not a problem. It is very difficult to follow fast flying birds at close distance (swifts, swallows) without a pistol grip and I tend not to use it without it. It is also difficult to get around with focus mechanism in the beginning but I started to like it after a while and find it easy to use now.

One very interesting advantage with ...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!