Review statistics for Fenwoodian
User's Lens View Count 14,196
Latest Lens Addition z25.jpg
Zeiss 25mm f/2
Latest Review Posted Venus Optics Laowa STF 105mm F2.0 (T3.2)
The Laowa 105mm STF lens has the nickname "The Bokeh Dreamer". Well, I thought that I'd put this so called Bokeh Dreamer to the test and compare it in an extensive "head-to-head" shootout against my all time favorite "bokeh" lens - my adapted Nikkkor DC 105mm f/2 lens (I adapted it with a Leitax adapter, took me a full day, Leitax says that this lens can not be adapted to K mount, it was extremely difficult to do and in adapting it I had to eliminate it's auto focus capabilities and permanently set it's aperture to f/2). This Laowa STF lens is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever shot. The Nikkor DC 105/2 is known to be very sharp, but in my shootout, the Laowa STF clearly beat the Nikkor when it came to sharpness. Winner = Laowa I shot high contrast edges in bright sunlight. The Nikkor had nasty colored fringing. The Laowa STF had none. Winner = Laowa At f/2, the Nikkor has the absolute creamiest bokeh of any lens I have ever used (including my adapted, expensive Zeiss Milvus and Leica R lenses). At f/2 with a T/3.2 setting, the Laowa STF lens actually produces an out of focus blur that is a bit "blurrier" than the Nikkor lens. However, even at T/3.2 F/2, the Laowa's bokeh, while very nice and extremely out of focus does not quite match the creamy goodness of the Nikkor DC at f/2. Winner = Nikkor The bokeh balls produced by the Nikkor are not pretty. The bokeh balls produced by the Laowa STF lens are maybe the bes...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 AM. | See also:, part of our network of photo forums!