Review statistics for fotograffiti
Latest Review Posted Mamiya / Sekor 55mm F 1.4
Because of the thorium in the glass, this lens lends a yellowish hue to the picture—a warming effect that I like. Focus is slightly soft wide open, as you might expect, which gives a wonderful glow to the photograph. My copy has a slight bit of mildew on an extreme edge of one of the front elements, which I imagine makes the wide-open shots even dreamier; it is not noticeable at apertures of f/4 and tighter. And, at f/4, the lens is sharp corner to corner. My copy has been through the wars, with scrapes and a dent on the lip of the barrel, but the quality of the build is apparent, in that this abuse has not affected focus. The focus ring is as smooth as proverbial butter and infinity is spot-on; the exterior glass is pristine. I use an after-market tulip lens hood to keep light off the front element, so I've experienced no problem with flare. To convert the M42 screws to Pentax mount, I use a Pentax OEM adapter, and then adapt the Pentax K-mount to my Sony E-mount with a Fotodiox or Beschoi adapter. Focusing, using focus peaking, on a Pentax body (I have used this lens on my K-S2, K-50, K-70) or on my Sony A7 II is extremely accurate—no less so than the old split-screen focusing circle on vintage cameras. Quirks: The lens has only six aperture blades; while they are slightly rounded, the lens can produce some busy out-of-focus areas in certain lighting. The lens ring focuses backwards to every other lens I have, with infinity being at the extreme left. I don’t know what...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!