Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Prime Lenses
Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan 50mm f/2.8 Review RSS Feed

Elements/Groups: 3/3
Diaphragm action: full automatic
Filter size: 49mm
Weight: 150gm
Mount: M42 (Universal Screw)
Mount Type:

Add Review of Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan 50mm f/2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-10 of 10

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Elko, Nevada
Lens Review Date: July 17, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, no auto/manual switch, a very nice triplet
Cons: Perhaps build quality but mine seems to be decently built.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Honeywell Pentax H1A

I was actually quite surprised when I noticed that this lens was reviewed here. I was even more surprised when I saw how low the overall rating was, especially since mine has been a superb lens overall.
I use several different formats and am a real sucker for triplet lenses on medium and large format. So, I guess it is no surprise that I went looking for a triplet to use with 35mm film.
This Domiplan 50/2.8 in M42 mount is what I found. The price was certainly right so I took the plunge. I mean, even if it doesn't work really that well, $20 really isn't a huge loss.
But my experience with the Domiplan has been the mirror of most of my experiences with the triplets I have used on other film formats. It is a superb performer within its niche and it does exactly what I ask of it. It certainly is not a Cooke Series XVa Triplet lens but it definitely didn't cost as much as one of those lenses do either.
For starters, with a maximum aperture of only f/2.8 this really isn't exactly a low light lens, so I don't try to use it in really low light scenarios. However, like most triplets, it can produce a decent result while wide open if you do your part and focus properly.
Where this lens really shines is from f/5.6 on, and it is really nice at f/8. Of course this really isn't a great surprise since most lenses seem to do their best when set at least two stops from wide open.
I scored this lens fairly high on the sharpness scale since it does quite well within its aperture sweet spot between f/5.6 to f/11. I have attached a photo I took for the fun of it that really demonstrates this sharpness. Of course, no lens is at its best if you are not focusing it properly and my little Pentax H1A does a really nice job of focusing. It does have a tendency to flare if you are not careful so I do use a lens hood, which everyone really should.
Now there may have been some issues with quality control at the factory with these lenses, I can't say because mine has been wonderful. I feel bad for those of you who received lenses that did not perform well but I am certainly thrilled with mine. I have noticed though that a lot of the reviews here seem to be from users who are using the lens on their digital cameras. I haven't personally tried that but it does seem to work great with film.
I love the rendering of a triplet lens and this wonderful little lens has provided that look for me in 35mm. I certainly recommend it for anyone who feels the need for something a little different.

Here is a little sample from my lens. If you look closely you can count the threads in that flag. That is pretty good performance in my book.

I recently picked up a really nice set of extension tubes for about $20 off the buy and sell page on this forum. So that will be my next adventure. I wonder how well this lens will perform at macro distances? What the heck...a macro for $40. How can you go wrong...right??

Location: Arequipa
Lens Review Date: May 20, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 1

Pros: cheap
Cons: very poor resolution
Sharpness: 1    Handling: 4    Value: 1    Camera Used: Sony Alpha a850

I have a sizable collection of m42 lenses, about three dozen. I've been collecting and using them for years. I bought this quite awhile ago when I wanted to check out German glass. I liked the artistic rendering and color in some images I had seen that were taken with German lenses. I wasn't happy with the Domiplan when I got it and put it away. Just recently, I decided to revisit it using my 24 Mpx Sony Alpha a850. Resolution at infinity was horrible. Close up was perhaps acceptable, but I don't want a lens on my camera that has such a severe limitation. I tossed it in the trash and ordered a CZJ Tessar 50mm f2.8 lens to replace it.

Registered: January, 2017
Lens Review Date: January 14, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 6

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 4    Value: 6

Sometimes I make lenses of my own and this particular lens was almost like one of them - very soft with dream-like fog caused by aberration faults. Stopping down didn't help too much. Still I kind of liked using it because it's like a small puppy
Overall, it produced the worst image quality I have seen so far.

PS. My copy was labeled "Pentaflex" and really wasn't as sharp as in other reviewer's photos.

PPS. I got another Domiplan, this time a genuine Meyer-Optik Görliz. The lenses were dirty and there were fungus, which I cleaned but didn't get all off, and there are even some scratches... anyhow, it seems like a totally different lens to Pentaflex, being much sharper and this time there are no fog. I'll have to change my rating.... Beware of the Pentaflex.

Lens Review Date: March 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: in center sharp, contrast ok
Cons: the edges are full of CA's and not very sharp
Sharpness: 4    Aberrations: 2    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 5    Value: 3    Camera Used: pentax spotmatic

it was my worst lens. I sold it, because of weak sharpness and strong CA's in the edges. (perhaps bad justage?)

good sharpness in center 6 points, in the edges only 2 points, medium 4 points

no recommendation.

it has no achromate therein. only 3/3 elerments.

my Zeiss tessar 2,8/50 is much more better

if you close aperture to 8-11, sharpness will increase and CA'*s will be reduced.

not for big posters, because of weak sharpness in the edges, for pictures 9x13cm to 13x18cm still sufficient

Registered: October, 2011
Location: Outside of Canberra, Australia

Lens Review Date: May 31, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: sharp after 5.6, handles flare well, cheap and easy to acquire
Cons: soft wide open, blurry edges
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: k-s2 and k-50

The internet suggests this lens has a pretty bad reputation. To be honest the only reason it's in my arsenal is because I had purchased it thinking it was a Diaplan. Was a little horrified at the time when I realised my mistake, as I'd paid close to $50 AUD for it, after exchange rate and some exorbitant shipping. So really, giving it the Singles In treatment was the only way I could justify my mistake.

I made a point of doing some research, and had read some reviews before I started using it, so was prepared for softness wide open, purple fringing, and washing out if shooting into direct sunlight. But also knew based on those reviews that dropping the aperture would help. So most of the time I made a point of shooting at 5.6 or more and just raising iso. I figured with state of the art k-s2 and k-50 you couldn't really go wrong, and if nothing else, modern day technology would really help with isolating issues with old lenses like this.

As you can see in some of the shots I showed this month, the Domiplan can definitely render sharp images on the k-s2.

The Leaf on Tarmac by wolfie_girl, on Flickr

It can render beautiful portraits.

It can also make starbursts:

Starbursts through the gloaming by wolfie_girl, on Flickr

And handles flare surprisingly well, turning the light into an overall wash.

I also found in general that the lens was sharp in the middle with a slight swirl or softness/streaking on the edges, which I didn't mind for portraits or artistic focus, but others may struggle with, especially if you are looking for sharpness from edge to edge.

The mfd is also quite long, which makes it a bit of a downer at 50mm. I meant to try some extension tubes, but never got around to it. I did however attach a +2 lens and enjoyed the chance to shoot closer.

The hidden elephant by wolfie_girl, on Flickr

I should also note this is a m42 mount with the pin. Mine came already glued down, but if yours doesn't, you will need to do something about it, in order to ensure it stays pressed down. otherwise the lens will remain wide open.

So, what do I think of the Domiplan? I think it probably deserves its rating here of 7 or so.

I think that overall, if you play to the Domiplan's strengths, stopped down, it will reward you with some lovely shots. Cheap and cheerful, it shouldn't cost you the bank (unless you make a mistake like me), and using it in the right conditions will result in some lovely shots.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Jakarta

Lens Review Date: December 15, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: vintage color rendering, price
Cons: need flanged adapter, sharpness at f2.8
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 8    Camera Used: K5

as far i know there are two type of MOG Domiplan, first marked as Q1 and the other is non-Q1. The Q1 type has more vintage color rendering than non-Q1.
no A/M switch of my M42 mount lens must use flanged adapter for hold the pin on the back for adjust aperture blades on digital body camera

here are the samples images:

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Ireland

Lens Review Date: September 2, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Not really well built
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 5    Value: 8

The old Domiplan was quite divisive in its day and that was caused by it being a budget kit lens on E.German cameras - it wasn't that great, but copy variation made it appear worse to some people. I was lucky enough to get one which was at the better end of the spectrum, so they are out there.
Of course, an APS-C sensor doesn't show the edge aberrations which were the subject of most of the criticism on film, so bear that in mind.

All pics taken on K10D

broken-byre-and-gate by Lensosaurus, on Flickr

broken-byre-1 by Lensosaurus, on Flickr

Registered: April, 2012
Location: Sweden

Lens Review Date: June 3, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, smooth focus ring, Meyer Optik
Cons: Can miss focus or difficult to focus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 9

Perhaps my copy is good, but I get great pictures with this lens. Focusing is a bit difficult and takes some time, hence not suitable for action, but once focus is achieved, it produces sharp pictures and colour rendering is impressive.

Location: Lost in translation ...
Lens Review Date: April 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $5.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Compact size, well built
Cons: Soft, small stiff focus ring, minimum focus distance
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 5    Value: 7

Bonjour,

Another thrift store find ... sub-average performance ... will post test samples and more info later. J

Lens Review Date: December 29, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

Image quality filming
Add Review of Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan 50mm f/2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!