Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Prime Lenses
Pentacon 50mm f1,8 auto multi coating Review RSS Feed

Pentacon 50mm f1,8 auto multi coating

7.0
6 49,816 Tue July 16, 2013
Pentacon 50mm f1,8 auto multi coating

M42 mount; f1,8-f16; min. focus distance of 1,1 feet; multi coated; auto
Mount Type:

Add Review of Pentacon 50mm f1,8 auto multi coating
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-6 of 6

Registered: July, 2013
Lens Review Date: July 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $23.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Resolution,colors and a fantastic bokeh esp. at f/1,8
Cons: none significant
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10

Superb at f/1,8 for a slight soft halo effect and a killer bokeh.
Very sharp stopped down with minimal CA.
A very underrated lens which in my opinion isn't that bad built.
Metal construction which after some 35 years is handling very well.

Location: Lost in translation ...
Lens Review Date: March 11, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharp, decent build, f1.8
Cons: Needs to be stopped down a bit ...
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 7

Bonjour,

Another thrift store find ... almost new appearance and in its original box. Acquired so inexpensively that I am not going add this info to the database ... I paid less than $3 for it ... actually 2!

Overall a decent lens that I will have to test outside soon. Until then and based solely on indoors test shots, I'm giving this lens a "7" grade across the board ... and will post samples soon.

Salut, John le Frog

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Bucharest
Lens Review Date: March 11, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Extremely sharp, close focusing distance, built like a tank
Cons: Very difficult to properly focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 3    Value: 8

I basically stole this from an old film kit of my father in law (hence the 0 $ price), along with a Pentacon 200mm tele, and I use it on a Pentax K-x

In order to focus from closest to infinity you must really work on rotating that damned ring, which takes any kind of spontaneous photography out of the question. On top of that, focusing with the lens stopped down at 11 or higher in anything but direct sunlight is basic almost guesswork, the camera is unable to confirm any focus and you can't see it either. To add insult to injury, after you manage to catch focus you have to do the whole exposure procedure which takes another second or so. So basically, the use of this lens is limited to static subjects (that almost excludes children entierly).

The bokeh gives me mixed feelings. Wide open it's soft and ok but the DOF is very narrow and difficult to work with. Stopped down the bokeh becomes rather nervous and unpleasant for my taste but DOF improves significantly.

That being said, when you do manage to get the entire procedure done, exposure is spot on and focus is correct, the results center frame are spectacular. The sharpness is simply brutal. I have used it to make two female portraits with it and the result was invariably outrage. The details were so perfect, down to every pore and otherwise invisible hair, I was asked to delete forever the pictures. As sharpness goes, I have never seen anything like it. My 40mm Limited pancake is frustratingly soft in comparison.

What I really don't like about it the corner resolution. For any pin-sharp center image, around F5,6 to F8, the corner resolution is simply abysmal. The branches of a tree nicely framed fade to hysterical double shadows towards the edges.

Simply put, if you can wrestle with it, you can get the right exposure and focus, you have the perfect light source and you are concentrating on one subject in the center of your frame, it's a great lens. For anything else, try not to throw it out the window in frustration.

Lens Review Date: December 29, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

Image quality filming

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Zagreb

Lens Review Date: December 31, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $38.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, f1.8, cheap, quality build, great portrait capability
Cons: stop down, 50mm rise to 75mm at APS-C
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

This MF lens is excellent for it's price! My lens is M42 screw mount so I need an adapter M42-->Pk. There is no problem to use it.

Wide open it is a little soft, but still good IQ.
Focus ring is nice and smooth, but too long (turn over 360 deg)
Aperture ring very precise and easy to use.
Good in low light conditions
Great feeling for manual focus
Great correspondence with camera (K-r)

It is hard to focus while aperture is set to narrow because image is too dark. Camera set light automatic but always it is too dark (step down problem), so the best way is use it in full manual mode or Aperture priority mode.

SHOTS:

Registered: June, 2010
Location: Franeker
Lens Review Date: March 24, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Min focus distance of 1,1 feet; generally pleasing bokeh; almost no ca
Cons: Cheaply built; a bit soft wide open.

Biggest problem with this lens is its cheap built quality. The aperture ring of my copy does not click in at all anymore; there's no "feeling" at all left while changing the aperture. I have an earlier version of this lens which is also cheaply built.
Both lenses do function though.
I generally like the bokeh of this lens; it is busy but nevertheless appealing. Only on some occasions I find it to be too busy. The making of close-ups of flowers with this lens is a pleasure; I really like the soft focus kind of touch this lens is able to give to the scene as a whole while photographing flowers. Wide open the lens is a bit soft; stopped down to f2,8 it is sharp. The min. focus distance of only 1,1 feet ads to the pleasure if making close-ups.
If you can get it cheap, I would recommend it!
Add Review of Pentacon 50mm f1,8 auto multi coating

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!