Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Zoom Lenses
Promaster 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 Spectrum 7 AF XR aspherical Review RSS Feed

Coating: Multi-coated
Focus System: Automatic
Mount Type:

Add Review of Promaster 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 Spectrum 7 AF XR aspherical
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-2 of 2

Registered: October, 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Lens Review Date: July 21, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Very useful zoom range, Image quality
Cons: None that I can think of - maybe a little heavy
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I included this lens with my Tamron 171D ..... 571D review, as I posted images from this rebadged Tamron 571D and 2 of the earlier Tamron versions (171D & 371D). Here are the same pictures.

For my use (mainly outdoors or indoors with external flash), I could not differentiate between the 3 versions when post processing from raw. I don't do formal lens comparison so I will let my images do the talking. If you click on the image it will take you to my Flickr account with the exif data below the image. Sorry but my post processing software does not record lens ID.
Indoor w/ Flash

571D - /32.0 135.0 mm 1/25 ISO 200

Tim

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Huntsville, AL

Lens Review Date: December 14, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $73.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide Zoom, Inexpensive
Cons: AF hard in low light
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I got this used from KEH as EX+ condition for $73. It did not come with a hood so I got a Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical [IF] MACRO hood from eBay for $15 since it supposed to be the same lens and it actually worked perfect.

Considering this is a wide zoom lens, it is reasonably sharp, produce good color, and bokeh is not too bad with open wide. The best part is the price and to be a good walk around lens without worrying about bumping around anything. It looks well built for the price as well. Only thing is it starts from f3.8 so I usually use with bounce flash in inside or low light condition.

It is just an inexpensive (low resale value?) great lens for just taking family snap shot which I do the most, and actually get to spend money on kid rather than a lens, that is what I like the best of this lens.

For sample snap shots I took with this lens,

Add Review of Promaster 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 Spectrum 7 AF XR aspherical

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!