Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Quantaray Lenses » Zoom Lenses
Quantaray 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 Review RSS Feed

Quantaray 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2

8.1
 6.1
 7.4
 7.1
21 55,721 Thu February 1, 2018
Quantaray 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2

"This is the definitive lightweight, compact telephoto macro zoom with a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2 at the 300mm setting - ideal for shooting subjects that are difficult to approach such as sporting and theatrical events. The lens also features special effects such as the capability to provide beautifully blurred backgrounds to highlight the main subject in protraiture, or "compression effects" that make the most of the telephoto lens. By switching to maco mode, subjects as close as 0.95m can be shot within the focal range of 180-300mm, for true macro photography. The optical system incorporates an LD (Low Dispersion) lens, resulting in clear sharp images free of chromatic aberration."

Name Quantaray AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2
(Based on image circle) 34 to 8 degrees
Focus Details
Front Element Rotation Yes
Zoom System Rotary
Closest Focus 0.95m / 37.4 in. (macro mode, f=180mm-300mm)
Magnification Ratio 0.5x / 1:2 (macro mode, f=300mm)
Filter Size 62mm
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter) 116.5mm x 76.6mm / 4.6 in. x 3.0 in.
Weight 435g / 15.3 oz
Notes Available AF Mounts: Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax; Included Accessories: Lens Hood
Typical Online Price US$159.95

Above information taken from SLRgear.com

Note: This is the exact same lens as the Tamron LD 70-300mm Macro 1:2 lens, the film equivalent of the populare Di LD version.

Pictures of it will be uploaded shortly.
Mount Type:

Add Review of Quantaray 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 21

Registered: April, 2013
Location: Norwich, Connecticut
Lens Review Date: February 1, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, cost & availabilty
Cons: Slow, difficukt to manipulate apurture ring from Auto while on camera.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 6    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-20-D

Found this lens in a thrift store. I love the fact that no one else wants Pentax mount lenses...
A bonus for the purchase was that today was "Senior day" all purchases are 20% off!
Had my camera with me for a project and was able to confirm the mount and functionality.

Initial tests indicate this is going to be the most widely used lens in my bag.

Registered: March, 2012

Lens Review Date: February 17, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $48.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharper than you would expect.
Cons: CA and max aperture.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 8    Camera Used: ZX-30 and K5

Sharpness must be very copy dependent. Mine is wonderfully sharp at 300mm and I regularly push it to 300mm. I do spend a fair bit of time cleaning CA but for the price(less than $50) it is a very good lens. I do like the macro though standing back 1.5 m is odd.

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Northern California

Lens Review Date: July 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Performance, sharpness, light weight, low cost
Cons: CA (purple), cheap build, poor manual focus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 7    Value: 8

This is of course a rebadged Tamron. Perhaps I just got lucky with my copy but the sharpness of the image is much better than I would have expected of a low-cost lens.

The contrast and color can be a bit lackluster but I've had good results with post-processing in Lightroom and Nik plugins.

AF can hunt a bit in low-light but that's to be expected on the K-5 at a max. aperture of f/4.

I basically stole it on EBay for $35 U.S. If you can get it for $50-or-less this is a very good value.

Use a hood!

Registered: May, 2012

Lens Review Date: May 30, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great value, macro mode, sharp pictures
Cons: none for the money
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10

After buying one of the many named cheap f8 500mm mirror lenses on ebay
i was rather shocked at the results from this lens after shooting some pics in my garden
i don't think i have taken photo's so bad. none i took were worth keeping all dull and drab.
also these mirror lenses are all manual and fixed at f8
so it was put straight back on ebay and sold at knock down price and a loss.

after doing some research i picked up a Quantaray 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 for a great price and these are not common here across the pond (uk).

i was not expecting much but i hoped for a slight improvement over the 500mm mirror lens
wow what a great lens miles better than the mirror lens and nearly the same focal range, also auto focus and not a fixed aperture.

yes its not a lens for a pro but what pro would pay $90 for a lens, i did and it's all smiles all round and value for money. The macro mode is great fun too.
remember you can have the best camera and lens but still be a bad at photography
so if you want a great cheap lens with great range then this can be highly recommended .

Emperor and Senpai

Registered: June, 2010
Location: Nashville, IN

Lens Review Date: March 10, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Value, sharpness, macro
Cons: purple fringing at full zoom
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10

If you want a cheap and seemingly well made longer zoom then I'd go for this one. Did I mention it's sharp and cheap? I bought it used quite some time back, and have since sold it, but it is a solid performer at a good price. I wish I had kept it!

The only real issues were it is heavy, and there was some purple fringing at longer zooms. The other thing that I remember was the panic that set in when I thought I had broke it one time. I had in in macro mode. That is only from 180-300. I tried to retract it and it quit coming back in at 180. That was a quick scare for me, but then I realized what I had done, and then all was well.

I can certainly recommend this cheap and sharp macro lens.

Registered: October, 2011
Location: Belton, SC

Lens Review Date: October 31, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: 300mm, cheap, macro
Cons: f4, bit soft at 300mm, lacks contrast, AF hunts, not weather sealed
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 6

I do a good bit of shooting indoors, and this lens just doesn't do it for me. It isn't fast enough nor is the contrast high enough to suit my liking. What you get for the price though is quite nice I guess. I would suggest this to a beginner on a budget, but that's about all. The only reason i keep this lens is for a backup, "just in case" something happens. Don't get me wrong, you can take some amazing shots with it, if you're willing to take a long time getting used to it's quirks and oddities. I will say that the lens has a good feel to it. Zoom and focus are nice and tight but not too tight. Feels pretty sturdy for what it is too.

IMGP7916-Edit2-1 by carlin.lusk, on Flickr

IMGP2892-Edit by carlin.lusk, on Flickr

Registered: September, 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Lens Review Date: October 12, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Weight, Cost, DOF
Cons: AF, IQ Low Light
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 10

Mine comes across as a "Tamron AF70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro" as well. Personally, I love the way this lens presents the bokeh. I do find it nicely weighted (though just a touch heavy for not having a mount ring) even on a mediocre tripod. The AF is a little on the slow side, but since I mostly shoot kit, I don't notice it that much - you might. The macro feature is nice, and is mostly what I use it for, but I find I need pretty good light for this lens. All in all, pretty nice. Just snapped a quick Macro of my other Pentax below:

Registered: August, 2008
Location: Rochester, NY

Lens Review Date: June 12, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Price, reach
Cons: PF, slow AF

Purchased used at KEH. EXIF identifies it as a Tamron 70-300 LD macro.

Decent lens with great reach. Except for a flimsy lens cap, the build is solid. Focus is slightly stiff, but nothing feels wobbly or cheap. AF is good in bright light on my K5, but in dim light autofocus hunts and often never locks at all. This problem gets worse with a circular polarizer attached. But that's ok, because the front rotates when autofocusing ...

Macro mode works well, but AF speed becomes even worse. Also doing macro work @ 300mm requires a steady hand and a lot of light.

Purple fringing is very prominent on this lens. Flare is not controlled at all. Keep this away from bright light sources.

I do not notice any zoom creep.

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee
Lens Review Date: February 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: price, weight, Macro and tele
Cons: slow AF in low light

I use this lens for both landscape /wild life, and macro shots

Registered: August, 2010
Location: Illinois
Lens Review Date: September 10, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $39.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: 1:2 macro; reasonably sharp; Value/$$
Cons: Hunts in AF

I got this lens in great condition as a "bargain" lens from KEH. I had read other positive reviews and I couldn't beat the price. It is reasonably sharp over the whole range, obviously better stopped down. It loves sunlight. It's done well at the zoo and the botanic gardens. The AF tends to hunt a lot, particularly close up, but fortunately there is a manual override on the lens. I did have once instance where the AF "locked" onto my subject (with focus point manually selected) and was noticeably OUT of focus when I reviewed the images. Overall, I am pleased with this lens and it has given me good results for a bargain zoom.

Registered: December, 2007
Location: MA

Lens Review Date: August 27, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: fairly inexpensive, extremely light
Cons: stiff zoom ring, fringing

Bought Spring 2010. I'm embarrassed to admit what I paid for this lens. I bumped the average up a little. I was in the mood for a longer lens than my sigma 50-200. When I stumbled upon this lens at a Ritz Camera far from home (yes I had to ask them to dig around for any thing Pentax) it was an impulse buy.

Extremely light, but I find the zoom ring stiff. It may be loud, but I've never had a good quiet piece of glass.

I experienced some heavy fringing in some shots I took today in macro mode. Good thing purple is one of my favorite colors.

Not bad a lens I suppose, as I'm trying yo test out a few inexpensive lenses without getting heavily invested yet.

My best results have come using manual focus.

Registered: December, 2009
Location: Maine
Lens Review Date: May 23, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price - IQ - Versitality
Cons:

I got this lens as part of a package with a used k10d and a 18-55 II so I estimated the cost.
The "macro" function of this lens is actually decent but it is somewhat prone to CA in high contrast areas.
As a tele it also works quite well for a budget lens.
This lens also works quite well for still lifes and portrait work.
I did retire mine for the time being for the DA 55-300 but something tells me that it will eventually come out of retirement.
Two of my images (flowers) that were accepted into PPG were taken with this lens.

Lens Review Date: April 22, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good price for the lens.
Cons: Macro mode was a little squirly for me.

I enjoyed using this lens quite a bit, and took some good shots with it. I was shooting wildlife from a boat, and had a bit of an issue with autofocus, due to both ME and the subject moving.

The few times I worked in Macro mode gave varied results. I did not buy this lens for macro mode, so overwall, I was decently impressed.

Registered: November, 2008
Location: Oregon, USA
Lens Review Date: April 17, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $56.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Good for the price
Cons: IQ

As in life, so it is with this lens. You get what you pay for. Here is my Video review of this lens:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk5KlditubI[/YT]

Registered: January, 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA

Lens Review Date: January 10, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Macro Mode, Good Zoom Range, cheap!
Cons: some CA loud AF

When I show most people images from this lens many are surprised that they came from it. Images are very sharp and provide a wonderful DOF. I've used it for sports and wildlife photography and in both cases this lens certainly came through. For the money this lens is certainly hard to beat for the beginner strapped for cash. In some instances I almost worry that I might get worse images going to a 50-135 DA* lens. but thats a small worry. This is a great lens that got my photography started and perhaps its also the perfect lens for you.
Add Review of Quantaray 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!