Showing all 8 reviews by bygp

Review of: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 (Version 2) - made by Tokina by bygp on Thu July 21, 2016 | Rating: 8 View more reviews
lens2.jpg

Views: 55710
Reviews: 10
EDIT : I think the issues I had came from my Hoya UV filter, I did some new tests wo this ... filter and it looks much much better, I so changed my ratings. (but I wont be able to use a hood, at least not a screw as my filter thred had a shock and can't be used... EDIT 2 : as i've not yet used it for landscape shots wo the faulty filter, cannot say if its a good landscape scenes lens. Will come back once Ive done that. At least it's a good macro lens with a very smooth bokeh. Perhaps I had a bad model on e-bay, idk, but this lens realy sucks concerning focusing. Focusing ring is far too lose and focusing sensibility of the ring is loose too, if you dont keep your hand on the ring, you loose focus. Plus the uk seller was not honnest, he did not mention that filter thread was damaged and unusable :fedup: 2. f3.5 aperture renders bad with CA and softness, so u will have to switch to 5.6 3. there is not a f6.7 stop, u go directlu from 5.6 to 8, weird... I've been very disapointed after a long test shooting, almost 95% DNG to garbage ! I'm fed up with zoom now, my SMC 135 is a jewel in comparison. I would rather recommand to find a god SMC 80-200 with the 8 blades diaph. I had one but unfortunatly it had haze between lens so that I could only take pics with sun in my back, and these pics were great from 80 to 200. But atm I stop buying budget zooms, waste of money :mad:

Review of: Panagor 80-200mm F3.8 PMC Auto Tele Zoom by bygp on Mon April 11, 2016 | Rating: 8 View more reviews
panagor_80200_3_8.JPG

Views: 20528
Reviews: 3
The main strength of this lens is how it supports direct sunlight, almost no flare, no haze, very good coating. The one-touch mechanism is very smooth, not too loose, not too hard, and it's a strong build K zoom The weakness are its softness wide open, ok if you want soft effect, but otherwise you need to close at 5.6 to get decent sharpness, and blue CA at 200mm (which can be easily corrected under LR) I tested it in sunlight stressing conditions with no filter at all and it renders good colors but sharpness is decent but not more. You perhaps het better IQ and less CA with a good UV filter, I will test that. It is a good build quality, looks & feel as high-end lenses (as vivitar serie 1) with a very nice K mount design It has a good integrated hood and an easy to place & remove front cap. EDIT : Once infinity calibrated, infinity focusing sharpness is impressive for such a low priced zoom, almost as good as the Vivitar serie 1 70-210 (Kiron) zoom. See last photo. Here are some test photos taken at 200 with no filter at all but with some corrections under LR : https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1701/26055254580_dd3ea87bdf_b.jpgPanagor 80-200 f3.5 haze & flare stress test, very good PMC by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1528/26261873601_af705a9373_b.jpgFaithfull fisher :) by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1502/26231295352_8d29b7080c_b.jpgPanagor 80-200 f3.5 @ 200 test shot by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr and this one wide opened : https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1512/25721290453_e8550cd3c8_b.jpgPanagor 80-200 f3.5 @ 200 test shot WIDE OPENED by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr I'll receive a 58mm UV filter and add some test shots here taken in high sunlight conditions with it. It's overall a good quality zoom but definitely not as sharp as a prime 135mm as my SMC and far focusing is quite hard although maybe this is due to the fact that my model needs a focus calibration ATM. Focus calibrated, infinity sharpness is very good in the range f5.6-f8, here at f5.6 : https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1695/26091355390_40ff8ce7fc_h.jpgPanagor 80-200mm f3.8 infinity sharpness test by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr (still wo any filter) Definitely a good value lens if you can get a mint one as is mine :)

Review of: Mitakon 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 MC Zoom by bygp on Tue September 22, 2015 | Rating: 10 View more reviews
57.JPG

Views: 9760
Reviews: 1
I didn't expect too much from a cheap manual zoom lens but although I've not tested it yet in all conditions, IQ is great for a zoom, mainly when set to its max focal 70mm. It gives realy sharp photos at max focal, even wide open, results are better than with my 50mm 1.7 prime even if it is not as fast. Contrast is very nice while keeping a high dynamic range where shadows have no loss at all, only whites may be a bit too strong and cause some CA when side by side with blacks, but there is no lateral CA. I tested it without any UV filter or hood. Comparing this zoom to my 3 current primes (24, 28, 50mm) is the reason why I put a 10 overall rating, because in many aspects, it performs better than some of these primes. The only sad thing is it has no A mode. Another cons would be the fact that using the zoom/focusing ring makes the filter thread rotate, making it hard to use with a CPL and better not use a tulip-hood with it. Mechanics are smooth but not loose, very good metal build quality. Deserves more daylight tests with UV filter and hood. Samples just for testing close and longer range, both taken at 70mm wide open (ring on 3.5), photos have been absolutely untouched (LR RAW import and direct publish on flicker) : https://farm1.staticflickr.com/702/21432520069_3673f39b15_b.jpg https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5758/21608069112_7b1c5fc61e_b.jpg Before buying this lens, I had the feeling it was the same build as the Yashica MC Zoom, and excepted small cosmetic differences (rings shapes, letterings) it realy looks as being the same optical and mechanical build, hard to be 100% sure though. http://www.retrocamera.net/review-of-yashica-mc-zoom-35-70mm3-5-4-5.html

Review of: Cosina 24mm f/2.8 MC MACRO by bygp on Tue September 15, 2015 | Rating: 10 View more reviews
Cosina24f28.jpg

Views: 70695
Reviews: 9
I've tested deeply that lens I got cheap (10 euro) for parts only because a plastic ring in the aperture lever mechanism was out of normal place, good deal... The close-to-mint copy I own : https://farm1.staticflickr.com/591/20656535303_953e2164e7_z.jpgCosina 24mm f2.8 mc macro 1:5 P/K-A Japan by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr The big positive point about this lens is its fantastic color and contrast you get natively in RAW files, you don't need to post-prod this, only maybe low a bit saturation or change your camera settings. It is light, compact, very fine close focusing (19 cm min focus range) and gives very nice shots using the cheapest flash you have, your camera internal flash. But it's not a perfect lens, more lateral CA than on my zooms and distortion, nothing horrible but if you want perfect photos, you will have to correct it from RAW files : with LR, you just need to click on "suppress lateral chromatic aberations", this works perfectly and then, in the "manual" tab, set distorsion to +5/+6 and you're done. The other small cons is about the build, amongst my 3 primes (Chinon, Takumar and this one) it is the lightest cheap build, many plastic parts, filter thread is plastic and that's not very nice. I've not yet deeply tested its bokeh so I can't rate it, will do later. Overall, it is a very good lens, with the A position and A contact, compact and easy to use, at 2.8 softness is so tiny that you'll love to use it in low light conditions. It is extremly sharp at close range, a bit harder to focus long range mainly because it's a 24mm but still sharp as much as your sensor can be. A test shot, very roughly taken, just to show how punchy is color and contrast, this photo is a direct RAW export to flickr, untouched : https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5670/21323592721_68bb508e82_c.jpgCosina 24mm 2.8 MC Macro 1:5 test shot 2 by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr 2 others at close focusing using internal flash : https://farm1.staticflickr.com/703/21177339988_20d253af3a_c.jpgOMG 25 years ago... by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr https://farm1.staticflickr.com/621/21176834088_1574b5e704_c.jpgMy oldest tool ever ! by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr ***** Here are some new bokeh test shots, not fantastic subjects, it's a cloudy day, I'll try to see how bokeh looks like with city lights in background later. Shots below were taken with no filter and no hood. Wide open (2.8) shot close focusing : https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5755/20839440744_9621707695_c.jpg Purple and red by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr Stopped at 4.5 : https://farm1.staticflickr.com/581/20841037313_011d049cb2_c.jpg White flower by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr Wide open evening bokeh : https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5730/21284204409_5a6f573ece_b.jpg Evening bokeh by Bruno Polleri, sur Flickr As you will notice, it's almost impossible to know which one was taken wide open, so I'll put a 10 on sharpness, and a 9 to bokeh even if 24mm is not the best focal for bokehs, because it is very smooth, 5 blades apertures seem often better than 6 blades for bokeh. Also before and beyond focus have a very close aspect. I'll recommand it for its all situations capabilities and wide-open sharpness ! If you can find one in nice condition below 100$ don't hesitate to get it, I had mine very cheap because it was sold for parts and I've been very lucky in this gambling, it is the sharpest wide-open lens I have so it is very fast even at 100/200 iso. :cool: And it is the more vibrant colors of all my lens atm.

Review of: Sigma 70-210mm 4-5.6 AF-K (ZOOM-K) by bygp on Sat September 12, 2015 | Rating: 9 View more reviews
sans_titre-00226.jpg

Views: 11384
Reviews: 2
I didn't find this exact model in reviews so here it is. I bought it quite cheap on e-bay not expecting a lot of it as it looks cheap plastic on photos but it's not at all. It's heavier than modern PENTAX lenses, all is made of metal except rings. I've been very surprised by sharpness of this lens even wide open Infinity focus is well calibrated if you use it in MF and gives a very sharp horizon. This lens is definitely made for mid to long-range shots, no macro mode. It's not very fast but it already gives a long sharp deep field at 6.7 Minimal close focus at 70mm is about 2 meters Seems to be FF able (105-315mm APS-C eq.) This lens is a bit special, the MF ring is fixed at the front, just before the filter thread, so when you MF, you also turn the lens-hood fixed on it. In fact this is very good because this ring is so tiny that you can use a rubber lens-hood as your MF ring. I'm talking alot about MF because AF is not very acurate, better not use AF.C mode. Hopefully, MF ring is very smooth with a not to long run so it is very easy to MF if your eyes are OK. But as AF is camera controlled, my k200D body could be a bit faulty here (no AF calibration feature). Colors are accurate but a bit low saturated and yellow excessive (UV damaged lenses ?) Contrast can go low very fast, mainly when you are facing light so I think this lens definetly needs one or 2 filters and a big hood for outdoor shots, and it's made for outdoor IMO. Good travelling zoom for the price. EDIT : I'm not an expert in lenses (well, not yet), but all my shots were taken w/o skylight filter and w/o any hood, I'll maybe have an improved contrast with these options. I've seen no CA, borders blurs or perspective distortion. Quality seems constant from 70 to 210mm. Conclusion : it's a very good lens for this price (20 euro for me) but take it only if you (as I) don't like AF and prepare to mod it with a hood you'll use as a MF ring. A shot taken yesterday at 85mm f9.5 : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/96553-bygp/albums/10008-calibration-tests/picture92202.jpg One today taken at 210mm f6.7 (i did not focus infinity, a bit closer) : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/96553-bygp/albums/10008-calibration-tests/picture92201.jpg And here a 100% crop of the above, although the focus is not on the right train, sharp enough to see heat effects : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/96553-bygp/albums/10008-calibration-tests/picture92203.jpg You can see some more samples on my flickr page EDIT : I removed a "nice" fungus from the front lens with white vinegar (quite easy to disassemble), I'm not a fungus expert but my knowloedge in physics makes me think that this kind of lens imperfection can be a "hole" for incoming light that gets diffused in the glass but not as intended and could create a light screen effect, this would downgrade contrast or create a fake over exposition. Anyway, AF seems now more accurate with this fungus removed. More testing to come on sea-side.

Review of: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm Line by bygp on Fri September 11, 2015 | Rating: 10 View more reviews
v70210-chart-pic_ss.jpg

Views: 132149
Reviews: 11
I've not bought it yet but the seller lent it to me for testing, I have tested it on sea-side and will probably buy this 1st version (with the 67mm filter thread). This lens can produce fantastic photos for the price. The only bad thing is there is no tripod screw-mount on it as it is much heavier than the camera body, and it may take some training to realy master this beast, maybe more hours spent at the gym ;) Also the model I have tested needs a mod to be mounted on a KAF2 mount, the aperture lever shield must be trimed or removed (3 screws to remove it). Here are some photos taken this afternoon (I missed a lot of my shots because move blur comes very fast when you don't want to go over ISO 200). Found best results between f/5.6 - f/8 but it is still sharp wider, only focusing becomes harder at wide and the huge focusing cylinder is a bit to smooth. https://flic.kr/p/xxy42M https://flic.kr/p/ycY5AQ https://flic.kr/p/xxHL1T

Review of: Makinon 28-80mm f3.5-4.5 by bygp on Fri September 11, 2015 | Rating: 10 View more reviews
image1.JPG

Views: 29472
Reviews: 3
Very surprised by this lens I got for only 13 euro from a UK seller, it's a very good build quality. No ap. lever shield so no compatibility issue with DSLR cameras. Focus ring is very smooth and fine. But most of all, colors and light curves are very accurate, it looses almost no information. It becomes a 42-120mm zoom on APS-C bodies. Seems easy to dismount parts and clean inside dust. Has a dedicated macro fine focus ring. Close up shots at 28mm, about 10-15cm from subject So it's a multi-use lens with old strong quality build. Cons : not very fast, full manual, heavy (it's a tank) full metal gun^^, aperture ring a bit loose, pump zooming (some don't like) Sample photo for testing purpose at 80mm f11 : https://flic.kr/p/xwCMgf

Review of: Vivitar 24mm f2.8 Auto-aperture MC close-focusing by bygp on Thu September 10, 2015 | Rating: 8 View more reviews
23wiv6.jpg

Views: 67460
Reviews: 6
I got the COSINA brand but it is exactly the same lens. I got mine for cheap because there was something to fix with the aperture mount switch, I fixed it and it is 100% functionnal. But I guess my copy fell on the floor and that an inside lens moved because I have a very poor overall rendering in outdoor shots, at any aperture (although f11 is the best) : CA on left of pics and blur on right of pics, even the center is not so sharp and colors rendering is very low saturated, worst than my kit 18-55 under 30mm ! So I sell it on e-bay for parts. :mad: Perhaps some copies are very good, but I recommend to test before buying one if you can. Its serial number is 94063226 JAPAN PK-A/R, if you find that it is not the same lens build, feel free to ask a deletion of my review. a pic of my copy : https://flic.kr/p/xtm9hp (in comparison, my 28mm Takumar-A and my 50mm Auto Chinon 1.7 are precious gems) EDIT : a member told me it could be not exactly the same build, but my model seems rare, I also have a lot of light burn effects, maybe this lens could do a good job for B&W old-style photos, and maybe the aperture lever should be removed to get better results, I'll try that if I don't sell it, could become a "special" prime lens^^ He is right, I have a 52mm plastic filter support and idk for the vivitar, but this cosina has 5 blades. Test shot B&W to show exposure strange effects, the real sky is cloudy and skylight burns tree leafs... not very sharp anyway, even after LR tweaking : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/96553-bygp/albums/10008-calibration-tests/picture92161.jpg Taken at F11, iso 100, 1/10s (speed is not the concern, pics taken at 1/250 are not sharper) The infinity focus does not seem well calibrated (under infinity) as I get much sharper focused zones at short range. I'll recalibrate it tomorrow and add a new shot (same scene), perhaps sharpness will come back. On this lens, infinity starts very close, between a few meters and infinity has the same focus plan. Here it is, calibrated, internal cleaning, dust and hair removal, I had to change ratings as the colors on this photo have not beed at all modified in LR, so they are naturally very punchy : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/96553-bygp/albums/10008-calibration-tests/picture92180.jpg As sharpness is hard to see on uploaded pics, this is the flickr link of the full frame photo, not crop at all : https://flic.kr/p/yuhZdn I'll add a review for this lens as it is not the same build as the vivitar even if bodies look close. I'll finally keep it, a good deal for 10 euro, and this model seems rare, mainly in PKA mount.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!