Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Prime Lenses
Revuenon 55mm F1.2 MC Review RSS Feed

Optical formula: 7 elements in 6 groups
Closest focus: 60cm
Mount Type:

Add Review of Revuenon 55mm F1.2 MC
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-11 of 11

Location: Warsaw
Lens Review Date: February 12, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: S.H.A.R.P. - mind-blowing lens optically & mechanically.
Cons: None - don't you dream it will ever be cheap.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Probably one of the best standard primes with the K-mount. Tomioka made, equalled by SMC-A 50mm f/1,2.

Yoshiro Takinami writes on Rikenon 55mm f/1,2 (same optics as Revuenon) in the "Best normal ?" on Stan's Pentax Photography: "I prefer Ricoh's Rikenon 55mm/F1.2 to any Pentax 50mm lenses. It's really a great lens, I think."

Another review compares it (again Rikenon version of this optics) with Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2 lens - 1300 USD - where it holds it's own with no problem:

At f/1,2 in full summer sun it snaps objects in "paper thin" focus with no question. From f/2 up IT IS SHARP.
Good hood recommended when wide open. No complains, great lens.

Location: Cirebon
Lens Review Date: February 5, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Clarity, 3D, Bokeh
Cons: Low contrast at wide open, Same with other f/1.2.

+ Dreamy Bokeh
+ Sharpness (too sharp at f/2)

- There is no dedicated hood
- Flare (but better than Pentax f/1.2 lens)

Registered: May, 2007
Lens Review Date: February 5, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, colour, build
Cons: Need good hood

I had some time with both this lens and the Porst 55mm/f1.2 and this one won out in the end. What I would recommend to all in order to squeeze the maximum contrast out of this lens is to buy one of those metal screw-in hoods - it makes an incredible difference to the output.

Razor-thin DOF so extra hard to focus but I've managed to get around 50% keepers out of it and for an MF lens wide open, that is pretty good. It is built like a tank, all-metal and the focus is smooth (I sometimes operate it with one finger). The output outperforms the 50mm A and F lenses I've owned in the past.

Bicycle bokeh by Mike Bing, on Flickr

Victor by Mike Bing, on Flickr

Registered: February, 2014
Lens Review Date: January 31, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, handy, nice colors, nice built
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5IIs

Nice lens, was sold with the Revue Solar 100.
Very sharp from wide open, sharper then my FA 50mm F1.7.
I use it with a "K3" focusing screen (from focusingscreen.com), that helps you a lot with
focusing this light-monster.

Some photos:
Revuenon 55mm F1.2

Revuenon 55mm F1.2
by Stefan Herberth, auf Flickr

I added a pin to the bajonett, now the camera recognize the lens as a "A-lens" and i can chose the aperture directly at the camera
Revuenon 55mm F1.2 with A-pin

Filzmonster by Stefan Herberth, auf Flickr
Sunset Konstanz by Stefan Herberth, auf Flickr
Revuenon 55mm F1.2 test by Stefan Herberth, auf Flickr
Schloss Seeheim Konstanz by Stefan Herberth, auf Flickr

Registered: March, 2014
Lens Review Date: August 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, colors, build quality, 9 aperture blades
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This lens is amazing, I bought it because I got a chance to purchase it for a reasonable price (140 dollar), and because it was reviewed even better then the K50/1.2, which I was originally looking for.

The sharpness at f1.2 is great! Ofcourse the dof is very, very narrow so most of the image often will not be sharp
Contrast however is a bit low wide open, but that can be easily fixed in post. Stopping down to f2 the contrast improves a lot and the sharpness starts to be more impressive. I waited a long time buying a f1.2 lens because I always thought the results at f1.2 would be disappointing and the price difference with a f1.4 lens would be way to much. Now this Revuenon proved me wrong, at f1.2 it is absolutely usable and at least my copy wasn`t that expensive.

Testshot wide open

I think it is a Tomioka designed/ produced lens in a `2nd` edition. The 1st edition being the 55mm f1.2 with partly cut out rear element, this 2nd edition without the cut out part. Both versions have been sold as Revuenon, Rikenon, Chinon and Cosinon. Yashica probably only sold the 1st version, Vivitar only the 2nd version, and there was also the Tomioka Tominon, which seems to have sold in 3 versions

The Porst 55mm f1.2 is often mentioned in one breath with the others but clearly is a different lens and was produced by Cosina; 6 elements and 8 blades where the Tomioka designs have 7 elements and 9 blades.

For more info here is a nice review of the Rikenon 55/1.2 labelled version of this lens:

Registered: July, 2013
Lens Review Date: April 19, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp (even at f1.2)
Cons: the novelty of f1.2? some CA wide open
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01

I really love this lens. I had been wanting a f1.2 lens for the longest time. I know, I know... I'm a bokeholic. I'm trying to get help.

I had tried to not get my hopes up about the sharpness @f1.2, because I was sure it was going to let me down... but let me tell you... if you nail focus with this lens, you're really going to nail it. I can't believe how sharp it can be at f1.2. Even at f2 you get a great sharp image with great bokeh. Of course, people are going to complain about it not being sharp at f1.2 because they can't wrangle this beast. The area that's in focus is tiny, so any tiny movement of the camera can throw that focused area off. I've yet to become too attached to this lens because everything I've shot (so far) has been that same CRAZY SHALLOW DEPTH OF FIELD... and it all starts to look the same to me; subject only a tiny bit in focus, and everything else dissolving into a water painting. There are worse problems to have, I am sure. I only have a few hours on this lens though, so I'll report back if anything changes.

You won't regret this lens though, I'll tell you that much. Just try to get it for a bargain (that makes it all the more favorable).

....and of course it's easy to not focus on a puppy when it never stops running around

Lens Review Date: August 13, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible bokeh colours at f/1.2; Fantastic unique CoC's in the shape of a crescent; Very warm "cosy" effect with indoor shots, especially groups of people; Strong, harsh light creates an enhancing abberration effect, like a cloudy glow; Sharp!
Cons: None that I've found
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I was lucky enough to buy this from a friend, who had searched high and low for this particular release for the German market. I believe the main difference with mine is the cosmetics. The lens is completely metal, and has a satisfying weight to it. The aperture ring has a lovely satisfying click to it, and when the shutter operates, it also creates a unique and healthy sound.

I haven't been into photography for long, but I already have some fantastic lenses which carry 9/10 plus reviews on this forum and others, and this is my most prized so far. In terms of usability and almost complete inability to take a bad shot, this lens blows my others out of the water. At f/1.2, you can point this thing at almost anything and create a fantastic abstract shot. Take it a step further and think about which sort of backgrounds will look great as a blur, such as interesting textures and edges, and you will get some incredible captures.

Take it up to 2.8, or no wider than 2 for effective face shots, particularly of animals with longer snouts/muzzles. For Portrait shots where a greater depth of field is required - taken down the length of tables for example, a smaller aperture will not harm the effects this lens produces. In low light, atmospheric settings, a higher ISO can be used with the grain adding a nice effect. The same can be said for harsh light like midday sunlight. I've rated this lens a 10 for abberations, because if this effect is classed as an abberation, which I guess it is, it only adds to the shot, and gives you something incredible where other lenses would just have blown out colours, strong-blue chromatic abberations and harsh whites. See attached photo of rocks and water for example.

An example of very low light, wide open, handheld. Any lack of sharpness is the focus areas can be attributed to these factors alone, but just look at those CoC's!

Fantastic bokeh effects

Location: Johannesburg
Lens Review Date: April 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $420.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness
Cons: Body integration

I recently bought one of these from a PF member. The build quality is good. The image quality is stunning! I took some photos with the subject in the corner to test it and even at f/1.2 it was very sharp. There was some PF at f/1.2, but it was gone from f/2 onwards. Focusing is tricky wide open (extremely shallow DoF) but this is to be expected (practise practise practise). The colours are great!

The only issue (to be expected with a fully manual lens not designed by Pentax) is integration with bodies and this is due to the abnormal position of the aperture-coupling lever. So far it works fine with older film bodies, but it does not like the PZ1-p. I am still testing with the K5. On digital it is easy enough to test and check so this is not a biggie.

I am very happy with my purchase. I can see some of my other 50's getting the boot soon.

Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Lens Review Date: March 10, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, well built, usable wide open, super sharp stopped down, characteristic bokeh
Cons: flare, some PF, focuses "backwards", characteristic bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10

Interesting lens. A super-fast standard lens on film and an eqv. to 85/1.8 on digital (portrait). On digital, expect an edge to edge sharpness from wide open. It's hard to focus properly on modern digital focussing screens (split helps), but it's sharp from 1.2! Bokeh is very "artistic" but maybe too much for some people. I like it... Stopped down it's as sharp as any 50 lens can be and the bokeh gets more "normal".
But it has lots of glass and old coatings, so flare can be a real problem. Maybe a hood can help. On full frame it has slight distortion, vignetting and unsharp edges, when wide open (which is to be expected). On digital you won't notice any of that. There can be a problem with purple fringing, especially at wider apertures, but sometimes I find traces of PF even on F5.6 pictures.
So what is it good for? Wide open, it's great for portraits, cats in front of a christmas tree etc., stopped down it is a super-sharp lens for landscape or architecture, bud mind the flare...

Some film and digital shots at F1.2 (from the first testing):

Location: California

Lens Review Date: July 6, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $525.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Dangerously sharp from 1.2, great contrast, color, stopped down beats everyone
Cons: None so far, maybe the stop down with green button thing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This lens blew me away, I thought the Pentax-A 50/1.2 was the king of the universe, but this one is sitting right up there next to it. Here are some photos:

At f1.2:

RevuenonCosina55mmf1.2@f1.2-Spices-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

RevuenonCosina55mmf1.2@f1.2-Hybiscus1-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Pentax-A-50mmf1.2@f1.2-Flower&Bokeh-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Pentax-a-50mmf1.2@f1.2-deal-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Here are others stopped down:

Revuenon55mmf1.2@f5.6-Fresas5-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

RevuenonCosina55mmf1.2@f2.8-Vito6-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Holy Land

Lens Review Date: May 31, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $280.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast , creative DOF and bokeh, sharpness, colour rendition
Cons: Needs appropriate hood

Identical to the Cosina 55/1.2, right down to the engraving (except for the word "Revuenon"). The rubber grip on the focus ring is different.

It's very good built and it weights just about as much too. The IQ is simply great and lens is perfectly usable even at f1.2.
The problem here is that the DOF is minimal at this setting so it does need to be properly focused.
Colours and contrast are great and bokeh rendering is superb.
Add Review of Revuenon 55mm F1.2 MC

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!