Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Ricoh Lenses » Zoom Lenses

macro setting below 28mm on zoom
605g, 67mm filters
Mount Type:

Add Review of Ricoh 28-100mm f/4.0 P MACRO
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-4 of 4

Registered: September, 2010
Location: MD
Lens Review Date: March 21, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: solid build, constant f4, pseudo-macro, sharp enough
Cons: needs to be closed down, heavy, 67mm filter
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-30

I have a nice, clean copy of this solid, well-built lens. It's a two-touch lens with a large focus ring that rotates about 180 degrees. It goes f4-22 by whole steps. The pseudo-macro is engaged by a release that moves it past the 28mm end. It achieves ~ 1:3.33 at about 3.5" from front of lens to object.
I don't notice much distortion using it on an APS-C camera, and sharpness is quite good across the frame. The lens is barely useable at f4 with significant, softness, CA, and glow. It's best at f8-11, but unlike many other lenses I have, this one can be closed down to f22 (especially at the short end) without much loss of sharpness. I've compared it to another full-frame lens I have, the really excellent Tamron SP AF 24-135mm F/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical [IF].
This Rikenon has similar results and colors, but the Tamron is generally, though only slightly, better (and has a wider focal range and is AF).
For an inexpensive full-frame lens, this one is a good value.
(Note: This is a Rikenon P lens which is not the same as a Pentax A. You need to use M mode with stop-down metering. Clicking it into the P stop actually closes it down another step beyond the f22.)

Registered: August, 2010
Lens Review Date: January 26, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: colors, macro, video, nice and convenient range
Cons: weight
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax k5 IIs

I am still having fun with this lens...I found it pretty convenient for video...works very well for me...Some say there is no character in this lens...as for me it does the one...pictures look like a paper print and usually do not require too much post processing...
a couple of pictures

Lens Review Date: December 13, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: IQ, sharpness, colors, build, focal range
Cons: At f/4 it is a bit slow indoors at night.

I suspect that this lens does better with APS-C sensors than film orfull-frame. There is some mild barrel distortion at 28mm and slight pincushioningat 100mm (as is typical for lenses of this period).

Registered: May, 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Lens Review Date: June 26, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: nice range, closeup setting, good optics
Cons: heavy, contrast is weak

I decided this would make a good walkaround lens when going manual suits me. At 605g it's a massive lens, but its age is showing (e.g. focus ring has some in/out movement: something needs tightening). Very versatile, sharp and shows nice color. I will update this after some harsh-light torture tests & comparisons to auto-Chinon 28/2.8... but for now it's just what I was seeking.

Edit - could not reach screw heads in disassembly, but super glue took care of the shifting front element. Images are pleasant, but contrast needs to be boosted in PP for best results.

The attached like-new K1000 was a happy bonus
Add Review of Ricoh 28-100mm f/4.0 P MACRO

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!