Log in or register to remove ads.

Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Ricoh Lenses » Prime Lenses
Ricoh 55mm XR Rikenon f/1.2 Review RSS Feed

10.0
4 33,786 Fri January 1, 2016

Manual focus

Add Review of Ricoh 55mm XR Rikenon f/1.2
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-4 of 4

Registered: January, 2016

Lens Review Date: January 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Dreamy Bokeh & Sharp
Cons: Size, Weight & Price
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 8    Camera Used: MX

Dreamy Bokeh and sharp enough to be usable wide-open unlike some other fast lenses. Very sharp from f2. Yoshihiko Takinami has stated that he prefers this lens over any of the Pentax 50mm K mount lenses and I must agree. So good, I bought a second one for backup.

Other 50's I currently own include:

Image 3: f1.2 / Portra 400 / Pentax MX
Image 4: f2 / BW400CN / Pentax KX

Registered: December, 2006
Location: Suburban Detroit, MI, USA

Lens Review Date: March 22, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $370.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Surprisingly sharp, especially at f2 and higher.
Cons: Big and heavy, low contrast wide open.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3; Fuji X-E2

As a lens collector I'm always interested in comparing Pentax's best lenses to their competitors. I became interested in this lens after reading at Stan Halpin's website that Takinami-san preferred it to the redoubtable Pentax K 50/1.2. My tests of the two confirm that the Rikenon 55/1.2 is indeed sharper than the Pentax at f1.2 through f4, although the two are fairly equal at f5.6 and above. Although the contrast at f1.2 is rather low, this can be adjusted in PP, and the lens is reasonably sharp even at that aperture. It sharpens up nicely at f2, and by f2.8 and higher it is very sharp and shows good contrast. Color and general IQ are exemplary for a superfast lens like this. It's an altogether delightful lens and I recommend it highly if you happen to come across one.

This lens is very well built and feels great to use. Surprisingly, it does not have click stops between the marked apertures but this isn't a big issue for me. I'd rate it 9.5 if the rating system allowed.

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Cph.
Lens Review Date: February 26, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Well built, sharp, f1.2 , great bokeh
Cons: Soft wide open

Really good lense. Sharp at f2 and tack Sharp at f2.8 and up.

Can be used at f1.2 but is very dreamy.

The Bokeh is fantastic

Registered: July, 2012

Lens Review Date: November 14, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: cheap and good-looking coating
Cons: flare, not shape when wide open

I got it one year ago from a shop on Taobao.com which is the biggest web mall in China.
I have to admit I bought only for a cheap F1.2 lens and it just did as I thought.

It has a good build and all the metal works show out that it is a high-level lens.
The yellow coating on this lens is beautiful and charming. However I dont think this coating does its job well when I find obvious flare shooting in some directions.
As for its IQ, well, it is not so shape when wide open so one has to step down to get more acceptable shapeness.

Above all, it is cheap!!! much cheaper than M50 1.2 or A50 1.2.
And it performs well when you need a shot in darkness.
Well these are all my own opinion.

I will add pictures soon.
Add Review of Ricoh 55mm XR Rikenon f/1.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!