Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Ricoh Lenses » Prime Lenses

15 52,838 Sat January 26, 2019

• Focal length: 50mm
  • Maximum aperture: f/2
  • Minimum aperture: f/16
  • Minimum focus distance: 0.44m (17 inches)
  • Aperture blades: 6 (curved)
  • Mount: Pentax K (non-A)
  • Focus ring direction: Same as Pentax
  • Aperture ring direction: Same as Pentax
  • AF: No
  • Filter size: 52mm
  • Optical formula: 6 elements in 5 groups
  • Coating: Single-coated
  • Construction: Metal with rubber grip on focus ring, stainless steel mount

The XR Rikenon 50/2 was one of three kit lenses offered with Ricoh SLR cameras in the late 1970s through the early 1980s. Starting in 1982, a non-XR 50mm f/2 lens was also sold with various Ricoh camera models. The non-XR lenses have a different optical and physical design and may be distinguished by the lack of the "XR" designation on the lens face.

It should be noted that this lens, as with all XR Rikenons has a standard K-mount (no Ricoh "P" pin) and is widely compatible with most K-mount bodies.

Add Review of Ricoh XR Rikenon 50mm f/2.0
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 15

Registered: January, 2019
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Lens Review Date: January 26, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, nice boken, inexpensive
Cons: None I can see
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-S2

I found a one of these lens in a pawn shop for $25.00 Cnd ($20 US) and was a bit skeptical at first, but so far it has exceed all my expectation. It has a good depth of field, and while not a macro lens, you can get pretty close to your subject and get a crisp focus. The lens does not seem to suffer from softening at any f-stop and creates a nice bokeh at more open apertures. The following were taken on a very overcast day and have not had more than 4 - 5 minutes of work put into them post processing:

cone f2 by SSean O'Connell, on Flickr

f/8
tree by Sean O'Connell, on Flickr

f/8
garden kid by Sean O'Connell, on Flickr

Overall very sharp with nice rendering of tones. If you can find one for a similar price, it's more than worth it.

Registered: May, 2018
Lens Review Date: July 15, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: It's good but not as good as the FA 50mm f1.4
Cons: Flare. Sharpness
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 8    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

This is not a bad lense but, having just got an XR L f2 50mm used, it's not in the same league as the FA f1.4 50mm Pentax. Maybe I got a duff version and I DO like Ricoh gear. I have the GR analogue and digital, Ricoh 35mm film bodies and other 50mm Ricohs which I rate better than this XR so far. I'll kerp testing them but, so far, the FA 50mm 1.4 is outrageously good. Not cheap but brilliant

Registered: November, 2016

Lens Review Date: June 3, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap and very sharp
Cons: Plastic, focusing and aperture ring
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

Cheap and sharp, nothing more. Hard to focus and also hard to use aperture ring sometimes. I really like it because its sharpness.

Registered: June, 2017
Lens Review Date: June 3, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp
Cons: Not particularly
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3-2

Sharp!

One of The famous Old lens for sharpness In Japan.
Please check the link destination.

100% Crop It can not express on the Web.

100% Crop

'Okayama castle'

太刀
左兵衛尉恒次
黒漆塗鞘太刀拵
鎌倉時代後期
林原美術館
Japanese Bizen sword 'TACHI'. It is 'Sahyouenojou Tunetugu' works.
A 'TACHI' is a large size Japanese sword.
Black lacquered sheath.
The late 'Kamakura' period. About 700 years ago.
It is a real Japanese sword that Samurai actually used.
HAYASIBARA MUSEUM OF ART. Japan.

太刀
伝包平
平安時代後期
林原美術館
Japanese Bizen sword 'TACHI'. It is believed that 'Kanehira' works.
A 'TACHI' is a large size Japanese sword.
The late 'Heian' period. About 1000 years ago.
It is a real Japanese sword that Samurai actually used.
HAYASIBARA MUSEUM OF ART. Japan.

Registered: March, 2016

Lens Review Date: February 18, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp as macro lenses - Single coating? I hadn't noticed it - One of my best lenses
Cons: Fully manual?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-S1

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Warsaw

Lens Review Date: April 19, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, it is a very sharp lens if closed one step to 2.8 and more.
Cons: Cheap feel. Rubber push-on cap.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30, K-r. K-50, K-3

First of all-it's one of sharpest lenses I own- in this field in my opinion it beats recent DA 50/1.8, all Helios 44 variations, and Pentax M 50/2 on all apretures even full open. I got mine as bargain on some flea market in Warsaw around four years ago with a (as I found later) broken pentax film body, whole thing cost me 40 PLN(around 10 US dolars).
For that price-you can't get anything better. It looks and feels plastic and cheap-but its totaly awesome lens.
Done with my K-30:

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Jakarta
Lens Review Date: December 16, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: bokeh, sharpness, built quality
Cons: single coating
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K5

mine has all metal body, the lens has good performance even it's has single coating, i love the bokeh characters

here are the samples shot:

both all in available light capture

Lens Review Date: September 30, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: this one better than the pentax M 1:2 50mm
Cons: cheap feel

Hmm, compares well to Pentax M 1:2 50mm, which I picked up at about the same time. The Pentax has a much nicer build and is more compact, but the Ricoh has sharper focus and less light distortion at low light. I played with them both extensively. Picked up the Pentax first because the materials are so much more pleasing. Got better pictures with the Ricoh.

Read on here that this lens is inconsistent. This one was a find maybe.

Registered: August, 2013
Location: Södertälje
Lens Review Date: August 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $23.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp from the edge to the center, lightweight, smooth m focus, cheap, vignetting,
Cons: Colours a bit to blue

A good lens with great sharpness, and good bokeh. CA a bit to high and colours seams to be a bit to "cold".

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Mission, B.C.
Lens Review Date: August 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Colours, sharpness, price
Cons: only f/2.0

I got this lens in a thrift store package with a makinon 135mm f/2.8 which was utter crap, an old Ricoh film body, grip, a vivitar flash, and a hard case. I paid $40 for everything, but the only thing I still use is the Ricoh 50mm. (The 135mm became a set of DIY extension tubes, since I found that the image quality was better with no glass in it)

As much as I hate to say it, every time I reach for my Pentax M 50mm f/1.4 I find myself grabbing this lens instead. It's certainly slower, and the manual focus feels nowhere near as nice, but there's just something special about the images it produces. It's not, in my experience, necessarily sharper than any other 50mm I've used, but it does have some kind of esoteric, almost magical quality to it's colours

Lens Review Date: August 16, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $16.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Cheap, reasonably sharp, light
Cons: cheap feeling

A perfectly acceptable lens for the cost. Feels pretty cheap compared the pentax equivalent but the price it's not too bad at all. Sharper than many similarly aged zoom lenses.

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Melbourne
Lens Review Date: April 20, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, build
Cons:

My copy was bought with a Ricoh A-100 along with 3 lenses for $70 inc postage, the lens in good condition. This is the first prime I have used on the camera.

It hasn't been used a great deal yet, but I've found itvery sharp even wide open, with pleasant bokeh, with an example below.

Registered: August, 2010
Lens Review Date: February 14, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, color rendition
Cons: flaking off

I have the same issue of flaking the paint off from the focusing ring, but actually this could be only one complain which I have to this lens. To be honest I do not pay any attention to that numbers while shooting, so it is not an issue for me at all.
It is very light in terms of its weight.
It gives very nice pictures and especially bookeh and color rendition. Sharpness is great.
In my opinion this lens deserves higher score. I gave 9 not 10 due to the flaked paint.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: south africa, johannesburg
Lens Review Date: October 28, 2009 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: useful manual lens to use for focus trapping
Cons: manual, average sharp, very fine PF on some edges, only focuses up to about 2 foot.

I have this XR version as a left over from a Ricoh SLR. Lettering has also flaked off.

I don't consider it that sharp that it deserves a cult status and it has little value compared to my standard kit lens but I bought a reverse adapter and can use it for macro work - we are talking about using the camera around 5 inches from a subject.

However, due to the need to stop down to increase DOF, focusing becomes a challenge unless there is very good light available. DOF in any event is very limited in the reversed mode and I really need a proper macro lens but hey, I have it lying around.

Thank you Pentax for the green button because I can use this lens easily in manual mode.

Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Lens Review Date: January 31, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Metal build
Cons: Single-coated, a little slow at f/2, lettering prone to flaking off

I acquired this lens as part of the purchase of a used Ricoh XR2s (total price $42 with Vivitar flash and Promaster zoom). Both the camera and lens were in pretty rough shape when received due to accumulation of grime and tobacco smoke and a degree of rough usage. Here are my initial impressions after two weeks of ownership:
  • Build is good, though not to the same standard as Pentax-M lenses of the same era.
  • Controls operate smoothly
  • Aperture ring detents are in full stop increments. Half-stop would have been nice.
  • Bokeh is pleasing wide open, but can be "jittery" at moderate apertures with specular highlights that show the characteristic 6-sided shape.
  • My early impression is that the lens has good sharpness and contrast.
  • The lettering on the focus scale for my lens has flaked off in places leaving only the black barrel paint in the embossed numbers. This was easily fixed with a lacquer pen. My understanding is that problem is common on the XR Rikenons.
The XR Rikenon has somewhat of a cult status in some circles where it has the reputation for incredible sharpness. I have not had a chance yet to confirm those claims, but will revise this review if it turns out to be true!

Here are a few sample pics taken with the K10D:

Wide open, focus on near eye

Wide open, focus at center of frame

f/5.6, focus at near corner of pewter box

100% crop of above Note...mild missed focus. This was in the days before live view and before I got my Katz Eye focus screen.

And a few more on FF 35mm film...

Old Wood

Ricoh XR-2s, XR Rikenon 50/2, Rollei Retro 100 exposed at EI 160 and processed in Edwal FG-7 1+15

Picnic Shelter

Add Review of Ricoh XR Rikenon 50mm f/2.0

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!