Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Samsung Lenses » Zoom Lenses

7.7
 7.3
3 17,835 Thu July 11, 2019
Samsung D-Xenon 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED

This telephoto zoom lens is a rebadged version of the smc Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED zoom and was marketed by Samsung for their line of K-mount DSLRs. It was also marked by Samsung under the Schneider-Kreuznach name.

Optical ConstructionLargest ApertureSmallest ApertureClosest FocusMax. Magnification
11 elements, 10 groups, 6 bladesf/4-5.6f/22-32110cm0.24x
WeightDiam x LengthFilter SizeHood
255g66.5 x 78.5mm52mmIncluded
Field of View (Diag)Field of View (Hor)
31.5-8.1 degrees (APS-C)27-6.9 degrees (APS-C)
In production: No
Mount Type:

Add Review of Samsung D-Xenon 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Buy the Samsung D-Xenon 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-3 of 3

Registered: July, 2007
Location: North West UK
Lens Review Date: July 11, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, nice colours, compact, good detail
Cons: CA, no sealing, not much else.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-70, K-3ii

I have to give this a 9 in spite of the minor foibles.
Why? Well, it was very cheap second hand, far superior to the Sigma 55-200 version (itself not bad at all optically, just has issues talking to cameras), to which I replaced it is the compact tele-zoom in my collection.

So over the Sigma it is dead reliable on the camera, which is good.

Now we all know that this lens is just a re-badged DA50-200mm, which is no bad thing.
But considering its age, how does does it cope with 24MP of the K-3/K-70/KP etc etc.
Answer - Very well indeed.
Nice and sharp and great contrast.
Downside is the CA, but shoot RAW and process accordingly and it is gone.

Sure the DA*50-135mm knocks it out of the park with its image quality and everything else, but consider this. You want lightweight at times, like travelling, this lens is a very good substitute, and 24MP does not overwhelm it.

Recommend

Registered: October, 2017
Location: Lancaster

Lens Review Date: March 17, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, lightweight,
Cons: Plastic construction
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K3

I had a Pentax SMC da 50-200mm wr which I sold. I regretted it from day one, feeling that I hadnít given it a fair trial, so, I bought this. I know it is ostensibly the same lens, bar wr. It is a noisy little devil but not as bad as my Pentax 100-300mm f4.7. Auto focus is accurate and it has only hunted once in all the testing I have done since buying it. Sharpness is hit and miss. You can get pin sharp photos but they come mostly from f5.6 to f11. I have had sharp pictures from both ends of the zoom range, but I have had soft ones too. Equally I have had both sharp and soft both hand held and on a tripod. The colour rendition is acceptable and the handling is fine if you donít mind plastic. All in all it is what it is. This is a cheap lens so donít go expecting Ltd performance. Saying that, it is capable of great results but you cannot always predict when you are going to get them. It is great value and a useful and lightweight extra lens. I will be keeping my blue thing because I really like it and I would recommend it to others.

Location: Pittsburgh
Lens Review Date: February 5, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $195.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, lightweight, smooth, metal mount, inexpensive
Cons: slow, autofocus hunts in the dark, strange branding
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New

I bought this lens as new-old-stock from a company here in the US. This lens is made at the Pentax factory in Vietnam. I don't have the Pentax version to compare it to but I understand they are virtually identical. This version has strange branding owing to the fact that Samsung has marketing rights to Schneider Kreuznach. Thus, this lens has the Samsung brand on the sides, cap, and hood, while having Schneider Kreuznach on the front of the lens, and being made by Pentax. There's probably some bit of wisdom buried here about truth in advertising but my understanding is that the only involvement by Schneider was quality control. That may very well be worth the price of admission.

I can't really say much about the performance of this kit lens that hasn't been said already or isn't reflected in the scores I gave it. I found it cheaper to put together my K5 kit with the pair of Samsung kit lenses and so that's what I did. I have not been disappointed.

See what pop photo said about the lens.

Here are some shots taken with this lens near my home.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!