Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Samyang Lenses » Prime Lenses
Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC Review RSS Feed

12 30,306 Tue September 10, 2019

Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC

The Samyang 135mm F2.0 is a fast telephoto lens available in a variety of mounts, including the Pentax K mount. It covers the 24x36mm full-frame format.

It supports aperture automation, but needs to be focused manually. It focuses down to 80 cm which is fairly close for a 135 mm lens.

Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC
Automatic, 9 blades (rounded)
KA

APS-C: 12.4 ° / 10.4 °
Full frame: 18.8 ° / 15.5 °
Multi-coated
82x120.6 mm (3.23x4.75 in.)
2015 to present (in production)

Also marketed under other brand names, hereunder Rokinon

Buy Lens: Buy the Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC
Price: $549
Mount Type: Pentax KA

Add Review of Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC Buy the Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-12 of 12

Registered: March, 2011
Lens Review Date: September 10, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $347.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: eye opening image quality, speed, close focusing, aperture ring, weight
Cons: short focus throw, quality control, optical overkill?
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 5    Value: 8    Camera Used: Pentax K-5iis, Sony A7ii

Image quality is as advertised: Excellent contrast, minimal aberrations and great sharpness across the frame- even wide open. From close focusing to long distances, pixel peeping I.Q. is amazing.

The f/2 speed is nice for subject isolation, and the extra light also helps when focusing with my K-5iis. I also appreciate the .8m close focusing and 9 blade iris. I love manual focus lenses and this one is nearly perfect for my around the house and garden shooting. It's let down only by its ergonomics.

No, I'm not referring to the size and weight. I enjoy using large lenses and this one feels just right on my K-5iis and helps stabilize my too small Sony A7ii.
Instead, it's the focus throw which comes up short. For a manual focus 135 with such close focusing ability, the 200 throw isn't long enough and makes fine focusing difficult.
Samyang appears to have developed myopia about this. Their manual focus 100mm macro lens would also be on my wish list if not for its inexcusably short ~200 throw.

One quality control quibble is that the front element retaining ring backed itself off a portion of a turn which caused the element to rattle. It was easy to tighten down with a spanner, but that shouldn't happen with a brand new lens.
Still, at least infinity focus is properly calibrated and I haven't noticed any de-centering which are two features Samyang is known for.

This lens delivers clean, sharp yet smooth images.
I was pleasantly surprised to see (indistinct) highlights remain round-ish when stopped down. But the 9 blade diaphragm outline can become visible in bright highlights. And I rarely shoot at night, so I haven't yet seen any starbursts.

K-5iis at f/5.6

K-5iis at f/2.0

Even wide open, this lens is much sharper than it needs to be for portraits. I don't have any people portraits I want to share, but when enlarged, the detail visible on faces is almost alarming.

This squirrel crop is an example of wide open sharpness (it appears to be sharper when clicked and viewed at full size in the Photo Gallery):

K-5iis at f/2.0, 100% crop

135mm is my favorite focal length and this lens was sort of a Holy Grail for me. When Amazon had a good sale price in April, 2019, I pounced. The Samyang has given me even more than I expected.

So, yes, I like this lens. Yes, I'd buy it again. And, yes, I recommend it. But along with great image quality, I've also found something else:
I don't print large and my monitor is of modest size. So the Samyang's I.Q. superiority is visible to me primarily when I'm pixel peeping at 100%. Under normal viewing conditions, images from my $15 Sears 135 f2.8 look almost as good as the Samyang's ...

Edit: Since the photos of the lens in the description above appear to be of a Canon mount, here's a photo of my Pentax version:

Registered: December, 2018
Location: Telemark
Lens Review Date: April 6, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $580.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh
Cons: Too neutral colors?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

The sharpest of my many lenses for Pentax K-1. Sharper than other Samyang/Rokinon-lenses too.

Registered: December, 2018
Location: California
Lens Review Date: March 29, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $409.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Bokeh, great design
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-1

I wanted to see how sharp this lens really was after reading some crazy good reviews. now it is perfect in a lot of ways and the only negatives I could find are that the colors wash out in direct light, and that the front element is pretty big.

I'll let the pics do the talking
This is a crop of a pic taken in portrait orientation

This is pixel shifted and it's just about the sharpest edge to edge image I've taken

Registered: September, 2015
Location: Berlin
Lens Review Date: August 28, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness even at F2, IQ, looks professional
Cons: heavy

I love Shooting with this lens. It Always Looks professional when using the Hood.

I got the lens cheap - used but in mint condition.

The Image Quality is awesome , even at F2 its sharp from Center to the edges.

I sold my Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Macro 1:1 because the samyang is much sharper in my eyes (and the tamron is an Incredible lens). Also digital zoom into macro is as sharp as the Tamron !

For Portrait you can use the full aperture range from F2 to F22.

I also have the Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 and its Image Quality is galaxies away from the samyang.

Cons:

-Its a Tank... its just heavy. Thats why its not easy to handle it when shooting. You need a smooth handling, good control and short exposure Times (easy cause you can shoot with F2!!!). But If you train it a bit You will love this lens. Shooting The Moon is possible but its better to use a tripod for it.
-No Autofocus... If you Need it, its a probem. I love Shooting in Manual, cause it Always Looks professional . If you Need Autofocus for your Portrait you can use the Pentax AF 1,7x Adapter and pre-focus on the lens and use autofocus via the Adapter. It works properly together and IQ is not getting bad.

I shooted Moon and Mars at the last Bloodmoon in July 2018. (using the Pentax-AF 1,7x Adapter).

All in All; Get this lens.
It is a jewel (I cant think that the Pentax 135mm F1.8 will be better. The Porst 135mm F1.8 is miles away from the samyang)

Greetings

Registered: May, 2017

Lens Review Date: April 5, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, great colours and lovely bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

I do a lot of family portraits and subject isolation shots. I have and still will be using the 77mm limited and 100 mm WR macro for this work but wanted something a little longer with reduced DoF for subject isolation and some creative work. I can't fault this lens it's sharper than anything else I own and the bokeh is wonderful. I'm not finding any problems with manually focusing either, I use the audible spot focus point to confirm focus and even at f2 I'm finding this works well.

You can check out a range of my shots with this lens and the K-1 here:

Location: Bay Area/Peninsula, CA
Lens Review Date: October 15, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $449.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, CA, handling
Cons: Hood (barely a gripe)

The lens is off-the-charts great, my go-to for portraits and faux macros and probably my favorite lens. I will gladly take a hike away from my subject to use it vs. the FA 77 on the K-1 for portraits. The 0.8 m minimum focus distance is a nice bonus for a telephoto and makes it useful for shots that would otherwise require macro. Sharp from wide open, CA and PF virtually absent.

Registered: October, 2016
Lens Review Date: May 23, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $490.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible sharpness, technically excellent image quality. Great value
Cons: Manual focus, and the manual focus is a bit stiff too.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K1

This is by far my favourite lens for the Pentax K1. With this lens and Pixel shift, the K1 produces image quality that rivals medium format. Stitching a few images takes the final photographs into medium format territory. It's a technically excellent lens too, not just sharp. The downside is manual focus so I think it would be better on a mirrorless camera but with focus peaking on the K1 it is a gem.

A lot of the photos at www.BenEvansPhotography.com were taken with this lens.

Registered: July, 2011
Lens Review Date: March 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: nice specs not found in Pentax land
Cons: No AF, no full communication, focus shift
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: K3

Nice lens with very interesting specs for me and my work. The lens is very sharp even wide open with little abberations. Focusing is manual (obviously), mount is KA with no electronic communication. Focus and aperture ring rotate in Pentax direction.

Mechanics work well, fitting in the price range. Focusing is fairly stiff not as smooth as with classic manual lenses. Barrel is covered with plastic and metal and feels OK. Lens shade is cheaply made, but works. Mount fits well, but no electronic communication with the camera. You need to tell the camera the focal length for shake reduction, ...

With live view focus may be nailed and is great, but you do not want to use this lens in live view all the time. I used Katzeye focusing screen (screen was shimmed correctly before for my Pentax lenses) for manual viewfinder focusing. Focus was fine up to 2 m. From 3-5 m I experienced a focus shift that strongly affected image quality wide open. Focus shift is not what you want in such a lens and live view is not what you want to use all the time either and no I will not shim my screen for this lens accepting an offset for my other lenses.
Focus peaking is a gimmick not a feature. I don't care to fine adjust a manual lens...

The lens is on its way home.

Registered: January, 2015
Lens Review Date: February 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic range, sharpness , IQ
Cons: Lack of af
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3, K30, K7 , K5

Fantastic lens, fantastic range, love it !! It's my very best lens out of the 12 superior glass that i own
The lack of af makes it a difficult lens to use, but with the focus peaking and live view, it's fine

Location: Wisconsin, USA

Lens Review Date: January 7, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $780.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: World class sharpness and clarity!
Cons: Slightly muted colors, manual focus, heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: k3ii

ok

Registered: October, 2009

Lens Review Date: May 29, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $530.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, sharp, bokeh, IQ, nice colours
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3

well this is again some piece of engineering. Combined with K3 and grip it balances very well and it is comparable with 50 135 in weight and size

I use a Katz-eye and that helps with manual focus; for small objects I use the LV. Manual focus works very well as with all SY's
(I own 8, 10, 14, 16, 24, 35, 85 and now this 135 )

I like the fact that it can be used at 80cm (SY 85 needs 100 cm)

good for portraits, walkaround, birding, street photography, bokeh-objects

example photo's

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Registered: February, 2014
Lens Review Date: February 24, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $735.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unbelievable sharp, no CA, precise focus
Cons: none (after one day)
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3

Just a little bit smaller than the DA*200 with the same weight, feels solid but plastic. The focus ring is well damped and allows precise setting (200deg). Catch-in Focus works very well.
This is an extraordinary sharp lens!
Sharpness @F2.0 compares already to F6.3 and stopping down to F2.2 the lens noticeably gains resolution, now already comparable to F4.5. Any setting between F2.2 and F4.5 is indistinguishable razor sharp. Very low CA, much better than my DA*200. Even in combination with the DA 1,4x AW and set to F2.2 it is as sharp as the DA* @F4.0!!
Add Review of Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC Buy the Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!